Anybody care for a special needs chicken?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by StephBreeden, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Crowing

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Another thing , I use oaten chaff in the brooder instead of wood chip or sawdust. If you lined the bottom of her pen with it , say 3-4 inches deep it may help with pressure and the poop . I don't know where you are , but a 25 k bag of chaff is about $25 here and it's easy on your garden. Unlike sawdust. Plus I found that the chooks would eat the shavings.

2. StephBreeden

StephBreeden In the Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    Honestly I think she may have hit her head and caused some brain damage. I say this because she will drink water on her own but I have to tap the back of her neck to remind her.

3. StephBreeden

Sep 24, 2013
    oh no she's in the house on lots of soft towels with paper towels under her butt. I keep her close to me to keep her protected and safe. When I take her out to see her friends I sit with her. I'm too afraid of something happening.

4. StephBreeden

Sep 24, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Here we are sitting on the porch

5. StephBreeden

Sep 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

6. StephBreeden

Sep 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

7. StephBreeden

Sep 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

8. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Crowing

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I hope she not watching a cooking show![​IMG]

9. beach hens

beach hens Chirping

Sep 16, 2013
    MB
    hope she is not watching a how to cook chicken!!1

10. lazidaisy

lazidaisy Hatching

Oct 1, 2013
    Oh she is gorgeous, I hope she recovers. My daughter's Daisy had a really bad case of 'bumblefoot', 6 months ago, she ended up lame, vet was really unsympathetic, said she was unlikely to survive it. Like you we refused to give up. My daughter and son in law did the surgery themselves and put her on antibiotics, she got loads of pampering from our whole family and recovered completely. We thought she would at least have a limp, but no fully recovered, so don't give up hope, they can be tough little creatures and like you said earlier, they enjoy the attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: