Anybody care for a special needs chicken?

I've been trying to think of a way I can prop her butt up so when she goes she doesn't have to sit in it. Since she can't move to get away from it. It doesn't stick to her skin but I will definitely do the Vaseline so she doesn't get poo burn from sitting in it during the night.

Another thing , I use oaten chaff in the brooder instead of wood chip or sawdust. If you lined the bottom of her pen with it , say 3-4 inches deep it may help with pressure and the poop . I don't know where you are , but a 25 k bag of chaff is about $25 here and it's easy on your garden. Unlike sawdust. Plus I found that the chooks would eat the shavings.

Honestly I think she may have hit her head and caused some brain damage. I say this because she will drink water on her own but I have to tap the back of her neck to remind her.

Another thing , I use oaten chaff in the brooder instead of wood chip or sawdust. If you lined the bottom of her pen with it , say 3-4 inches deep it may help with pressure and the poop . I don't know where you are , but a 25 k bag of chaff is about $25 here and it's easy on your garden. Unlike sawdust. Plus I found that the chooks would eat the shavings.
oh no she's in the house on lots of soft towels with paper towels under her butt. I keep her close to me to keep her protected and safe. When I take her out to see her friends I sit with her. I'm too afraid of something happening.

Here we are sitting on the porch

Oh she is gorgeous, I hope she recovers. My daughter's Daisy had a really bad case of 'bumblefoot', 6 months ago, she ended up lame, vet was really unsympathetic, said she was unlikely to survive it. Like you we refused to give up. My daughter and son in law did the surgery themselves and put her on antibiotics, she got loads of pampering from our whole family and recovered completely. We thought she would at least have a limp, but no fully recovered, so don't give up hope, they can be tough little creatures and like you said earlier, they enjoy the attention.

Back
Top Bottom