Anybody care for a special needs chicken?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by StephBreeden, Sep 30, 2013.

1. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Songster

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    Woohoo for progress on her legs I would start with vitamins good food and a large serving of love

2. StephBreeden

StephBreeden In the Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    Oh I forgot. I have a game hen and a sexlink that loves to steal eggs and sit on them. My sexlink stole 2 dozen eggs and sit on them. She only hatched 4 but bless her little heart she did try. Unfortunately a hawk got 2 if the babies. It was so funny to see her sitting on all those eggs because she isn't big enough and couldn't cover all of them. I believe it was her first time and she got a little egg crazy : )

3. StephBreeden

Sep 24, 2013
    She has been on poly vi sol vitamin for 4 days now.

4. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Songster

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    Make sure it is NOT. The one with iron. Just in case you didn't know

5. StephBreeden

Sep 24, 2013
    [​IMG]
    I hand feed her two of these per day and piece by piece. She can drink water on her own but she won't eat on her own. She lost half her weight in 3 days because she wouldn't eat so I decided if she won't do it I will make her. See she is free range and I don't think she cares for any chicken feed so that's why she won't eat on her own.

6. StephBreeden

Sep 24, 2013
    No iron : )

7. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Crowing

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Not that I'm aware of. But if she's not accustomed to being handled the wheezing may be stress related. Upper respitory symptoms generally show up when a bird is stressed. Just wait and see if it settles down. You may have to administer antibiotics if it doesn't.

8. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Songster

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    Have you tried scrambled eggs. Also cooked oatmeal mine like it when I mix in spinach and meal worms just some ideas. Poor baby she is so pretty hope she pulls through

9. StephBreeden

Sep 24, 2013
    I've been handling her for a week. Should I just administer antibiotic just to be safe and if so what do I use?

10. StephBreeden

Sep 24, 2013
    yes I've tried scrambled eggs and she will take a couple bites and she's done. This feed I got is farmers ultra kibble and it says it has high quality stuff in it and protein. I was told it would help her gain back her weight. I've tried giving her bread which she use to love but she won't even eat that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: