Anybody care for a special needs chicken?

I have a little silkie x hen that was taken by a hawk. My daughter managed to spook the hawk into dropping the chicken. When we retrieved her she was all ruffed up and she had lost an eye. That was over 18 months ago, she is currently fighting over a dozen eggs with her mum. They are the best mommas. They have raised Wyandotte , barnevelder , sussex and silkie. They have cared for them all equally and without bias.
When you bath silkies it is always a good idea to blow dry them . They don't fair well when they are wet through. It is also very easy for them to get aspirated lung. Do you have a pic of her legs?

Oh I forgot. I have a game hen and a sexlink that loves to steal eggs and sit on them. My sexlink stole 2 dozen eggs and sit on them. She only hatched 4 but bless her little heart she did try. Unfortunately a hawk got 2 if the babies. It was so funny to see her sitting on all those eggs because she isn't big enough and couldn't cover all of them. I believe it was her first time and she got a little egg crazy : )

I hand feed her two of these per day and piece by piece. She can drink water on her own but she won't eat on her own. She lost half her weight in 3 days because she wouldn't eat so I decided if she won't do it I will make her. See she is free range and I don't think she cares for any chicken feed so that's why she won't eat on her own.

Not that I'm aware of. But if she's not accustomed to being handled the wheezing may be stress related. Upper respitory symptoms generally show up when a bird is stressed. Just wait and see if it settles down. You may have to administer antibiotics if it doesn't.

Not that I'm aware of. But if she's not accustomed to being handled the wheezing may be stress related. Upper respitory symptoms generally show up when a bird is stressed. Just wait and see if it settles down. You may have to administer antibiotics if it doesn't.

I've been handling her for a week. Should I just administer antibiotic just to be safe and if so what do I use?

Have you tried scrambled eggs. Also cooked oatmeal mine like it when I mix in spinach and meal worms just some ideas. Poor baby she is so pretty hope she pulls through
yes I've tried scrambled eggs and she will take a couple bites and she's done. This feed I got is farmers ultra kibble and it says it has high quality stuff in it and protein. I was told it would help her gain back her weight. I've tried giving her bread which she use to love but she won't even eat that.

Back
Top Bottom