Anybody do exotics?

EmtheFishLady

We're all mad here
11 Years
Jan 13, 2011
Glen, MS
I have a pet store in Saint Cloud Florida, and we do mostly small exotics. We have chinchillas, hedgehogs, flying squirrels, regular squirrels, raccoon, Patagonian Mara...I am thinking of doing something else, thinking a wallaby or a fennec fox. Anyone have one? What do you like or dislike about them?

I didn't know it was legal to export wallabies. What sort are they? Wouldn't have though they quite fitted into small exotic.

Last edited:
They sell captive raised babies. Mostly Bennett's and Damas. Hubby thinks a wallaby is a better fit...but I REALLY love the fennecs...

And they don't really fit into small exotics...I said *mostly*...Mara's don't really fit into "small" either.

Last edited:
OMG. Just saw the prices on one site $2,000! I think I shall stick to enjoying them when we see them by the side of the road lol

I used to sell exotics (mostly cold blooded and insects/spiders but I did dable in warm blooded as well) never had a wallaby or fennec fox I had thought about both at one point but without a Federal Exhibitors License keeping a lot of the warm blooded exotics in Illinois is nothing but a hassle... Since I was at the time a licensed pet store and being inspected by the State already (with a known busy body inspector that had cause nightmares for other pet shops in the area already) it could have been a nightmare of trouble of I pushed the laws, as most towns and even some counties around me forbid ownership of exotics unless they are deemed pet trade small animals or you have a Federal License...

Either way good luck with your research, as soon as things settle down at my new place I might once again pursue my Exhibitors License and rekindle keeping exotics... Over the years I have actually filled out the paperwork several times but never submitted it due to circumstances that came up... My plan was and still is to get a pair of breeding sugar gliders as that qualifies to initiate and obtain the permit (just to get in the door with low cost and trouble) and then expand from their as time and money permitted...

Hubby used to raise and own both, and he says the foxes stink.
sad.png
But they are just sooo stinkin cute.

My I thin k you should get some sugar gliders or ferrets or prarie dogs or button quail I have owned all of these and still have several quail but they freak out if they see a camera so I don't have pics

The foxes are super cute, but I've heard they do stink and can definitely be a handful. I don't have much experience with wallabies though.

I always though a Patagonian cavy would be a cool pet! Someone on here used to have one and it seemed real sweet. They used to let it outside.

If you can get your hands on Duprasi, I'd be right over! Lol! I had one as a kid and they are impossible to find. He was the best pet for a kid. Didn't bite, didn't smell, lived about three years, and at the time he was about ten or twenty dollars.

Crested geckos are also awesome, and I would like to see them promoted as more popular pets! So easy to take care of.

Back
Top Bottom