1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anybody else expecting today? First pip picture!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fombellchicks, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Fombellchicks

Fombellchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    Western PA
    I am SO excited. Today is day 21 and while exercising this morning I heard a chirp and then another. I went over to the incubator and saw that one egg had a crack and a piece of shell pushed out (top left egg).

About 1 hour later there were 5 (out of 12) eggs that showed little cracks.

We watched the chick push against the white membrane and working on it.
    I can't wait to see them come out. This is our very first attempt to hatch and so far it is looking good![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will post more pictures as they progress. They are either Barred Rock or Barred Rock / RIR crosses.
    UPDATE:
    11:15 AM chick 1 hatched
    12:30 PM chick 2 hatched I will post pictures later
    3/28: total of 7 hatched, 1 seems to have some health issues, don't think it will make it, the other 6 are chirping happily, 1 more just hatched tonight

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    What kind of eggs are you hatching?

3. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Good luck with your hatch!!

I have about 25 due to hatch tomorrow, but one little BO just couldn't wait and pipped, zipped and hatched between 10pm last night and 6am this morning! None of the other eggs even have pips yet.

4. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Congrats!! My eggs are due Sunday, But I already have 1 chick drying in the bator, chirpin up a storm, and 1 other pipped!

5. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    [​IMG] Congratulations! Good luck with your hatch!

6. kandyg_99

kandyg_99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Colorado
    I have ducklings due today 4 pips so far..

7. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Wow awesome! My eggs under my broody were due tomorrow, but she already has 4 little fuzzies under her that are out.

My bator eggs are due Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. But they started cheeping last night. And now two of my Sunday hatching eggs have pips! yay.

I wonder mine were early this time. [​IMG] They have always been exactly on day 21 and I didn't do anything different

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by