Anybody else have a RIDICULOUS amount of roos hatching???

M@M@2four

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
USA
Man...I don't know what is going on...it just seems like evry time I hatch out eggs, I'm getting all roos. My DH bought a dozen marans off a lady...5 hatched...guess what???? COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
barnie.gif

LOL! I know! I don't know what is up lately!!! I have to sell, down-size or something on my roos...they're all getting to that hormone induced teenage stage and want to fight each other. I don't have enough pens anymore. I just went and took pics for craigslist and eggbid. It's just plain insane!!!
idunno.gif

omelette'smom :

YES!!! five out of six!!
barnie.gif
if "luck be a lady" than my hen got passed over cause that's bad odds in chicken life!!

lol...I feel your pain. My chicken yard is SO loud with roos crowing...it's crazy! It's nerve wracking being out there cause they're all competing for whose the loudest and whose the strongest.​

oh great, I shouldnt have read this thread!
We have 14 eggs in the Gopher-bator and 4 more under a broody lady in the coop.
We can have all the chickens and roosters we want here but I dont think Mr Nikki Roo would be all to happy to have to share the girls or the yard with any more roos.
Hopefully we wont have to many in our hatch but if roo hatching is the way it's going for everyone hopefully we will be different.

those of you that cant keep roos, or dont want them what will you do with the extras????

Quote:
I either eggbid them or sell them on craigslist....many people just eat them. I once went to an auction and this family bought nothing but roosters and it was well over 50 of them...I didn't have to second guess what they were buying them for!
sickbyc.gif
lol

I hatched two sets of eggs this year. First set 3 hatched, all 3 roos. 100% roo rate.
Second set, 4 hatched and 3 of the 4 are roos. 75% roo rate.

Hatching is so exciting but if I am gonna get all roos each time I am thinking I cannot hatch anymore. Living in New Jersey in a "cityish" area there is nobody around here looking for chickens, let alone roos!!

OK, some of you are going to laugh out loud..but a man that used to hatch eggs by the hundreds once told my aunt that it has to with the moon cycle. If the eggs are set on the Increase of the moon then they will be 99% roosters and if they are set on the Decrease of the moon then they will be mostly Pullets..Here is the thing..I tried it with some eggs I got, just in time to set on the Decrease..9 out of 10 Pullets..My next hatch was set on the Increase, I think they are all Roos, there might be one hen but im doubting it. The eggs that have been hatchign this past week were set on the Increas and I can already tell a bunch of roos in there. Dont know if its a wives tell or what, but its sure working out the way its suppose to with me so far...He also said that the same is true for when you conceive your child...I conceived on the increase, I had a boy...Coincidence, maybe..../ But its a good science project for your kids
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom