Anybody else have insomnia?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JetBlack, Jul 23, 2010.

1. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I have had it since I was a toddler. It sucks.

At age 2, my mom told me I had to stay in my room, until the sun came up. If you can't tell time, you don't know when to "wake up".

At one point, in my sleepless life, I was only getting 3.5-4.5 hours a night. Exercise, more or less, makes no difference. Having nothing to worry about makes a difference but again, only by an hour or so. Now I'm 41 and sleep 5-6 hours a night. I wake up between 0200 and 0400 everyday, without an alarm clock. I own one but it hasn't gone off in so long that one day, I forgot to turn it off and discovered that at some point, in the last 25 years, it stopped working. I tend to sleep less on weekends, than during the week. Grrrr.

Obviously I've done everything. No caffeine, more caffeine, no exercise, exercise until exhaustion. Food, wine, medication, etc.

I took Effexor XR, for a while and that was WEIRD! It doesn't help you sleep but it makes you get more REM sleep. I'd close my eyes and IMMEDIATELY start dreaming. They were just ordinary dreams. Like I was living my life. Washing dishes, mowing the lawn, going to work, etc. It got to where I couldn't tell if I had had a conversation with someone, IRL or if it was a dream. That did it. I couldn't tell my dreams from reality and what was what. Had withdrawals getting off it. Just annoying stuff. Auditory hallucinations and strange sensations, when turning my head. Not worth the extra rest from additional REM.

I've never had a problem *going* to sleep, just staying asleep. Apparently, this (short sleeping) is a common trait among type I diabetics, of which I count myself a lucky member. I can literally get ready for bed and lie down, close my eyes and be asleep in 5 seconds. I sleep so hard, for the first few hours that almost nothing will wake me. Screaming, fire alarms, gunshots (not kidding), etc. In Yulee, Florida, I once slept through an hour-long gang fight with police, outside my hotel room door.

Naps do not invigorate me. I envy my GF so much. She can lie down and take a nap for 15 minutes and wake feeling refreshed and ready to go. If I sleep for any amount of time, in the day, I will be groggy and barely coherent, for hours afterward. It makes me so much more sleepy, it's terrible.

Being tired is like being depressed. I can't think, nothing sounds fun, can't settle to anything. It's like that a lot. I feel better when I do something artistic or creative. Stone carving, sketching or molding things in clay makes me feel great. Welding is wonderful and by far, the best. I am not sure if it's the creativity or the blast of UV light that helps but whatever it is, I sleep best after an afternoon of welding.

In college, staying up all night would "reset" me pretty well, but it only worked for a week or so.

Pain killers like 2 Tylenol helped me sleep for 8 hours, for about 2 1/2 years. I thought I had it figured out! Pain, from years of playing sports and generally, being a boy, was keeping me just uncomfortable enough, that I couldn't rest. Now it doesn't work anymore. I know pain keeps me from sleeping because when the weather changes, I sleep worse. Countless broken bones, dislocations, an occasional surgery. Vertebrae, fingers, knee, wrist, elbow, hands (don't hit a punching bag unless you are willing to break bones and keep going), etc.

With guidance from my doctor, I got up to 400% of the Ambien dosage. Never had any effect. I thought it was defective medicine [​IMG] I wish I knew more about how Ambien works, then I might be able to figure out what my problem is. If Ambien doesn't work; what is the brain issue?

Anyone have insomnia before you tried something and it worked? Sleep number bed? Chiropractic? Vicodin? At this point I'm thinking of trying heroin (kidding). I think I'd rather sleep badly, than be addicted.

Also, I am cursed, in that I can follow the directions, and work through whole bottles of glucosamine/chondroitin and I get no effect [​IMG]
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Oh GAWD Effexor is WEIRD!!! I have sleeping issues too. I take Restoril (Temazepam, generic) and I can sleep most nights if I take it by 7 pm. If I take it later, I can't really wake up and still sleep weird. Even taking it, I am not ready for bed much before 11 pm. Being female, certain times of the month make it impossible for me to get a good nights sleep no matter what I take.

I tried Ambien, and I slept like a freakin rock - for 18 hours. HAHAHAHA!!! That won't work for a working person. LOL!
  3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I'm 53 & have always needed less sleep than most, especially my DW. [​IMG] I go to bed about midnight & wake up between 4 & 5. By the time the suns up, I'm ready to get started on the day, DW is crawling out about 7 & has to pump the coffee down till about 9.
  4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jetblack - You sound EXACTLY like me - except my insomnia started when i was about 12ish.

Usually I get 4-5 hrs sleep. Like today - I've been up since 6am and its 12:30am - I am not tired AT ALL - I couldn't sleep right now if I wanted to even though my body is tired my brain isn't.

I have those wierd dreams like that but they are not the effects of a medication - lol. I hate them - I have these 'deja vu' feelings cause I dreamed I did something I was thinking about when I went to sleep say tomorrow I have to wash dishes and clean out the coop - so I dream about it tonight when I go to sleep - actually doing it. And then tomorrow comes and I have to seriously think hard if I did it or not - or go just look and see to make sure one way or the other. Every night too - though they can be past conversations or ones I want to have - random doesn't matter.

I hate not being able to take a nap - I want to so bad sometimes when I get tired and actually sleepy in the middle of the day - but I know if I lay down I'm screwing myself over because 1. it isn't going to help much if not make it worse and 2. it'll be less likely that I will sleep that night. TODAY I fell asleep while rubbing my daughter's back on the bed - she wasn't feeling good so I was playing with her hair and rubbing her back trying to get HER to take a nap - instead I blame the heat - we both fell out for an hour. Ugh - you want to talk about the walking dead? Thats how I felt from 1pm-nearly 3 when I finally went out and took a walk around the yard and re-freshed everyone's water.

I gave up long ago trying to fix my sleeping pattern - I know 4-5 hrs works well for me - I function great and its MY norm - while if I do somehow manage to sleep 8 hrs (usually with the assistance of benedryl or something) - then I am useless all day long practically - its like too much sleep for me is like too little sleep for the 'average' person. - I am weak, tired, achy, miserable, headache, prone to zoning out, etc.

Heres to us insomniacs [​IMG]
  5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I find it odd the insomniacs are not posting....
  6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I'm Here!!!!!!
  7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Sup Yo? I mean, besides us chickens?

I tried very low dosage Zanex once... out within 15 minutes, slept like a baby for 8 hours, woke up refreshed and thought DANGIT, no way would I not get addicted to that. *sigh* I really have a hangup about drugs, so I just deal with the weird hours.
  8. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    On good nights I get 3-4 hours sleep, but that is broken up with waking up. Also I get up at sunrise to feed the birds and open the coops. Then I lay back down and wait an hour or 2 before I decide to get up finally.

Bad nights, like when the brain won't shut up, I get 0-2 hours of sleep. 2-3 days without sleep is fairly common, but the longest I went without sleep was 5 days. The headache kicks in at 60 hours. At about 84 hours the sounds start, another 12-24 hours and you start seeing things(the talking clock ticked me off). At 5 days(120 hours) they stuck a needle in my butt. I woke up 2 days later.

I do not take sleeping pills. I have a very addictive personality and will not do down that path.

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Precisely my problem too. Once I'm out I'm out, but it takes forever.

Also, doesn't help that the 'dropping' off usually jolts me awake. Anyone else have that?

Same on the pills... too many additions in the family. It's just not worth it.
  10. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I had BAD insomnia for about 2 years. It started shortly after I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, which was caused by working myself into the ground.

We worked at the store that we currently own, and I also worked at Fred Meyer (Kroger to some of you) and I was the price changer. I went in a 2-3am and worked 5-7 hours depending on how much needed to be done. So I was needing to get to bed at 6-8pm to get up 1.5 hours before work. Needless to say, when you HAVE to sleep, you don't. Or when you DO, something decides to be VERY loud and wake you.

Ambien worked sometimes. If I wasn't careful to take it 20-30 minutes before getting into bed and making SURE I got into bed in that time frame... I was up for the next 24 hours. Do that in the winter at 2 am for a 40 minute drive a couple times a week [​IMG] Then I tried lorezapam to calm me enough to make the Ambien let me sleep. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. For two years I did the roller coaster of sleeping 4-6 hours or being up 24+. When I got home from Fred Meyer I needed to either tend the store to let hubby do other things, or I needed to do the other things... critter chores, house chores, etc etc... just things that were part of life.

Once I quit Fred Meyer and didn't HAVE to go to sleep, it got better, but I still don't make it through a night without waking at least once. I can, however, get at least 6-8 hours in a night now and that helps with the HT. The HT already makes a person feel fat, fuzzy and frazzled, add insomnia on top of it and it's a train wreck.

So, all that being said, how's your lifestyle otherwise? Do you work TOO much and then try and MAKE yourself sleep?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by