anybody else's horse do this??

Yep, I believe it... Seabiscuit was probably on a very taxing training program, whereas the rest of our horses live the life of luxury!
he.gif

Red not only laid like that for hours in the sun, he would refuse to get up. At least once a year I got a call from someone at the boarding stable (usually someone new that had moved in) telling me he was critically sick and to come right away. One time they by-passed me and called my vet! Good thing she and I had discussed this habit of his and instead of showing up she called me.

Every time I would drive down there and he knew right away the gig was up, so he got up and shook off, to the total amazement of whoever called. They were sure he was unable to get up. LOL

Oh yes! They can look like dead things lying there.
Something alarming that just happened to me this winter, though: We had a sunny afternoon with temps in the 30's, but that night it went down to about 10 below. Red lay down in the early evening in the warmish snow, then when the temps dropped later that night his blanket got frozen to the ground. He managed to yank himself free, but when I found him, the blanket had twisted tight around his neck, and only one of the back leg straps had broken, so he was also being squeezed back there. Happily he is a sensible and mellow fellow, so he just stood still and waited for help. Had it been one of the wilder guys, it might have been a different story.
hmm.png

Yikes, chick bea that really could have been a tragedy. Mine wear blankets at times in the winter too and i'd never thought of that happening. One time though when i boarded my mare, she got a line of fencing(tensile wire) wrapped around her leg and couldnot move. She did not panic, i happened to stop by early that morning on the way to work and found her just standing still like a statue. The owner of the place was mad that i had actually cut the wire off her leg, it was wrapped so tight i was lucky it did not cut off circulation. I keep them at home now and eventhough it means more work, i love looking out my window seeing them every morning.

I don't have a horse... used to have a donk -
but seen lotsa horses in the fields around here lay out in their pasture like they've all been shot! LOL! Looks like a massacre!
lau.gif
This is mostly seen in Spring when the sun is so warm after it's been cold all Winter! That sun beating on the hide after being cold for so long must feel good! I know they're sunbathing... funny that folks can call you alarmed that they're sick!

Yes!!! One rainy morning I went outside & thought my pony was dead....Tears streaming down my face in the rain, running & sobbing...When i got to her she just opened one eye & gave me that "what?"look....I had only just got her and did not know to expect that... Phew!

My horse does that daily and he kicks his front and rear feet up (like a dog) while rolling around on his back. First time I saw him do it, I thought he was dying!
gig.gif

It also scared me when I saw my chickens dust bathing for the first time. It looked like a dead flock of chickens in a heap!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom