Anybody ever caponize a rooster...

I am a caponizer, from china .
wink.png

I like the way the doctor is so gentle with the little roosters. But beware, when they get of age when they crow it will sound like a very high pitched shrill siren. Sorta like a female opra screamer.

Maybe speak to your vet about having it done professionally? Don't think I could do anything like that the UK has pretty strict laws etc animal protection wise. xx

Quote:
Wow, that video in your signature is neat. The other two links look interesting too, just wish I could read them.

Oh, I am learning English, willing to communicate through the B.Y.C, to gain more knowledge in the professional terminology.
In fact, I need a friend, he can read Chinese meaning, and complete expression in English.
smile.png

Chinese Capons: In the video you linked I notice the caponizer doesn't change instruments between birds. What kind of survival rate do you see with the technique?

Traci

Chad,
I think you need to check the meat bird forum. It doesn't look like you're getting any helpful information here.

For everyone else,
He said these roos hatched unexpectedly. If he was planning on it, he would have gotten more broilers. For those of you that didn't read all the posts, he just slaughtered his broilers and these chicks basically showed up unexpectedly.

Quote:
I imagine so. And although the attitudes might be more widespread now, I can't believe previous generations of farmers were all heartless bastards who didn't care how much pain they inflicted on an animal. I know my dad wasn't. So in thinking about caponizing, and keeping in mind WoodlandWoman's very legitimate concern about causing the bird suffering, I'd like to observe a caponizing to try and assess how much pain the bird actually feels. Who knows? With a sharp scalpel, deft and sure movements, and maybe no awareness that he's actually being incised, maybe the discomfort is not that great? And if you keep the wound disinfected - it's only 1/4" deep and not even sutured or anything - maybe this procedure isn't or doesn't need to be as traumatic as we think it would be. Difficult to tell from a bird's reaction; if I pick up a hen to put her in the henhouse she squawks and hollers like she's being killed. Ya know?

And, by the way - dang! Yesterday we discvered the mother of these ten chicks setting another fourteen...

I agree with the previous gen being heartless. I grew up thinking it was normal to grab a piglet hang him upside down by one leg and slice his testicles off with a razor. I think about it know and think OMG! How cruel is that?

Back
Top Bottom