anybody ever won with a hatchery bird?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gamebirdsonly, Mar 14, 2008.

1. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I read about how hatchery birds are pet quality but not show. i was just wondering if anybody on here have won best of show or reserve champion with a hatchery bird.

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    If you recieve the mcmurray catalogs there are some pics of birds that have won from there hatchery stock.

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    anybody on here. i'm talking about a big poultry show. not your local county fair.

4. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Yes, there are lots of stories in their catalog. But I have noticed that they are usually people who order LARGE numbers of one breed, and then pick out one good bird to show. I have a black non-bearded Silkie that came from Ideal. I plan on showing it; whether or not it will win is something different. [​IMG]

5. polish15

polish15 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    MD
    Best of show with a black cochin pullet from Murry Mcmurray. She is a beauty! The chance can be a little slim though. It depends on how many you order. I was lucky. This was the only black cochin I got from them.

6. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Polish15, that gives me hope for my Silkie! [​IMG]

7. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    yes i have won refuse to state breed because of the idea that all hatchery birds are less quality but if you ever see
    my birds at a show try to pick out which pair is hatchery stock ... at Ohio Nationals BV and RV
    there is always hope

8. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Where does one get show-quality stock, anyway? I mainly want eggs, but a really beautiful bird strutting around would be even better eye candy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by