Anybody feed beet pulp

I gave my flock alfalfa pellets with the same result they turned up their beaks and walked. So I bought an inexpensive grain mill and set it very course just enough to break the pellets up. Now it is a staple in the mix and they like it. I can only guess that the pellets were to big.

I wonder why the study was replacing Corn with Beet Pulp.
There two (2) completely different feed ingredients used for two (2) completely different things.

Chris
The beet pulp may have been explored to see if it enhanced feed intake. Beet pulp does contain betain (a flavor enhancer). With some animals the fiber may provide desirable changes to gut function or fecal quality. I tried to use it to improve fecal stability but fibers were too coarse for animals I fed it to. Those animmals did eat more to compensate for diets reduced nutrient density but resulting feces fell apart as soon as animals took a crap which was opposite of what was desired.

I don't know about the beet pulp but I grew red mammoth fodder beets last summer for my flock. The beets are still holding up well in cool storage and the chickens love them. I cut them up a bit so they can eat them easier. I plan to grow many more this year. They store much better than cabbage and are a good feed extender. The chicken poops are a bit more 'bulky' but not runny and it doesn't seem to affect production. It's a real winner in my mind and I'm surprised more northern flock owners haven't moved into it.

Back
Top Bottom