Anybody Forage Wild Edibles?

pookiegoldman

Songster
9 Years
Aug 3, 2010
Grand Isle, Louisiana
It's getting closer to the best foraging here... Anybody forage for wild edibles here? If you do, what do you bring home?

My favorites are the winter greens, docks, thistle, field onion and garlic, blackberries...

I don't do blackberry thorns anymore, but will go hunting the wild mushroom. Come to think of it- it's about that time isn't it?

Imp

I don't do a lot of foraging for wild food (though I'd like to do more! It's fun!), but miner's lettuce grows in my backyard in the spring and I snack on it like nobody's business!
lol.png
And there are tons of blackberries around here, I eat lots of those, too.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Identifying mushrooms can be tricky. Although only a few will kill you, there are lots & lots that will make you wish you'd die. Find an experienced shroomer to teach you. Try finding a mycological group in your area. Good luck, it's fun too

Imp

Quote:
Identifying mushrooms can be tricky. Although only a few will kill you, there are lots & lots that will make you wish you'd die. Find an experienced shroomer to teach you. Try finding a mycological group in your area. Good luck, it's fun too

Imp

My hubby wants to go shroom harvesting... But we dont know enough to feel safe doing it..
knowing our luck..we'll get the one deadly shroom in the whole state or something..
roll.png

I suppose i can always make him eat them first..then if he dosent croak, i'll dig in...
*gotta check life ins policy first..*

Last edited:
Pinenuts for me. My DH likes a thing called 'sour sockets'. But I think they are gross. A lot of people around her get elderberries. I don't know of anything else you could forage other than sage.

Quote:

Imp

My hubby wants to go shroom harvesting... But we dont know enough to feel safe doing it..
knowing our luck..we'll get the one deadly shroom in the whole state or something..
roll.png

I suppose i can always make him eat them first..then if he dosent croak, i'll dig in...
*gotta check life ins policy first..*

That's one way. Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid in Alaska. You tested shellfish by giving some to the cat or dog first.
Some shrooms are very easy. Chantrelles, Boletes, and Oysters. One problem is mushrooms here can look different in your neck of the woods.

Imp

Quote:

Imp

Hey Imp~
Feel like takin' a newbie out and showin' me how to find chantrells? I can't find anybody down here to show me (I think they want to keep their hunting sites secret). I figure we can go to your neck of the woods and hunt. Too far for me to go regular like, ya know?
tongue.png

Whadda ya say?
Erin

Quote:

Imp

Hey Imp~
Feel like takin' a newbie out and showin' me how to find chantrells? I can't find anybody down here to show me (I think they want to keep their hunting sites secret). I figure we can go to your neck of the woods and hunt. Too far for me to go regular like, ya know?
tongue.png

Whadda ya say?
Erin

Sure, I haven't gone in a couple years. I usually head out Hwy 2, to Goldbar. Nice hike even if you don't find shrooms. Need to check, the trail may be closed on Sundays And Mondays. I'll look into it and PM you.

Imp

ETA- the website doesn't say anything about being closed anymore.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom