Anybody Hatch eggs under Hens anymore? (pic)

No chicks complaining here.
gig.gif

Mom keeps them really toasty. I picked up one of the eggs one of my girls was sitting on and I was amazed at how hot it was. Broodies loose some of their breast feathers so they can get more warmth directly to the eggs and chicks. I found the whole thing to be really amazing.

[
quote=Henry'schickens]Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I am a newbie. With the weather turning colder, isn't it a little late to be hatching? quote]

Crazy, isn't it? I had 3 go broody, so they ganged up on me and wore me down. I told them they were crazy; this time of year is not a good time to start a family. And to top it all off, all my broodies are babies themselves, between 5 and 6 months old. They just wouldn't take no for an answer.

As for the girls sharing a nest... I put 2 of the broodies together in a pen and each of them stuck to their own nest to incubate their eggs, but as soon as the babies hatched, the one hen just moved in with the other hen - lock, stock and barrel. So I have 2 Silkies and 7 mixed-bred standard chicks sharing a 5 gal bucket.
tongue.png

I have a silkie on 7 eggs right now this makes her 3rd time in about 7 months since I have had her. She loves being broody!!

Here she is happy as she can be she started out with 11 and learned a hard lesson rooster had aten 4. So she is down to 7 now due to hatch within the week.
SDC10162.jpg

I have never incubated. Not set up for it. I only had 5 full grown hens this summer. 1 went broody twice. 2 others at the same time. They were raising their chicks when my number 4 went broody. My poor number 5 hen never went broody and never got a break from the roo! None have been broody for the last 6 weeks and poor Prissy is finally looking better. All were good moms. The last one to go broody I have had since I first started 2 1/2 years ago. First time she went broody on me. Excellent mother though.

Hey ginbart, our RIR is 8 months old and she is brooding 5 eggs right now! She is our first broody hen, and her chicks are due to hatch on the 21st. We are very excited! She is so cute on her nest, and I think the other birds are very jealous of the special food and attention she is receiving. So, there is a chance for your RIRs too!

Southernbelle, I want to see a photo of that crowded bucket!

Quote:
Uh oh pancake is at it again that means I am in for it any time now I have her two sisters here. I also have the marans and they are legendary broodies also have good breeder quality delewares that should go broody.

Henry

My chicks are due on Thanksgiving day! We candled them the other night and really saw a mass in the eggs!!!
wink.png
I have never done this before so I have my fingers crossed!!!!

Back
Top Bottom