Anybody Hatch eggs under Hens anymore? (pic)

Maryallison77

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Fountain, Florida
So I have a broody hen and I read that she is also the type that would be a eggcellent
lol.png
mother. So I bought her some eggs off E-bay. She is a Japaneese Bantam, but I bought her some Americanna eggs to hatch out. I was just kinda hoping for that kinda chicken. SO does anyone do it the old fashion way anymore???
hmm.png
I don't even own a incubator and the youngest chicks I have ever had are day old chicks from a hatchery.

So is there anything I need to do to help out Jackie (chicken). She sits in that nestbox morning noon and night. She only comes out to eat. Here is a pic of her in the nestbox....

13328_jackie_in_nestbox_10-14-08.jpg

So cute!!
I have a broody hen setting on 15 eggs right now! They should be due in a few days.
All the eggs are not hers, she kept stealing eggs from other hens. LOL. By the time I discovered her hiding place she had been setting long enough to see veining in them when candled, didnt have the heart to take them away after that just to throw them out!

My OEG bantam hatched 6 eggs (hers only) last week.

Oh my gosh!!! i thought i was the only person that still uses a broody hen as an incubator. i also dont own an incubator. but i have good results from my dutch bantam

All you need to know is to

* try to give your hen vitamin suppliments since she wont be going out too much
* keep the nest out of severe weather and reach of predators
* always keep food,water and grit nearby
* try to seclude the hen from the other chooks if possible

Im tellin you the natural way is the most rewarding
jumpy.gif

hope you have a good hatch!!

I have a broody right now! She is sitting on her own eggs and should start hatching around the 14th! I am so excited, we have an incubator but I convinced DH to let her do it naturally! I think hes a hatch-a-holic! When my silkies start laying I also plan to let them do everything naturally. Hopefully I will only have to step in when needed.

I don't own a bator, either. I love the old-fashioned way! I'm all about being lazy - she'll incubate them, turn them, act as a heat lamp, teach them to eat and drink AND I don't have to worry about temp spikes, humidity problems or power outages.

I bought day-olds this spring and brooded them in the house; NEVER AGAIN!!! There was an inch of dust over everything in the room and I think my husband was never closer to leaving me. So bring on the broody hens!

I have 3 broody Silkies right now. I just checked on them a 1/2 hour ago and one of them just hatched out all 5 of her eggs. Watching those babies peeping out from under their mama was the cutest thing I'd ever seen!
love.gif

I do it both ways. Broodies are fun because you get to watch the interraction between the momma and her fluffies! It's cool to watch her teach the little ones. Good luck!!!!

I have 4 sitting right now, when we got the cold spell, I had a couple that didnt want to come out of the coop, then they started HOGGING all the eggs, so I let them set, should be hatching within the next couple of days. I do have a bator, but prefer the hen method. Also most of my keets were hatched by chickens, the guineas never took a interest in sitting,
Pancake
HPIM0411.jpg

Buddy Jr and her KEETS
HPIM0398.jpg

Back
Top Bottom