Anybody hatching on Jan 9th?

I now have 9 out. the little silkies just popped all at once. I tried to video , but they kept getting kicked around. I have 5 red sex links..... three of them are black and two are gold... four silkies but not sure what color they are going to be.. all just alike, but a weird greenish color. still wet so we will see..

Finished with first hatch!

Set 10 eggs on Dec 19

9 Went to lock down

3 yellow/4 black chicks!

70% Hatch rate for first attempt

I am going to call this a success!

Thank you for sharing all your knowledge.

Morning report from DS is four chicks out and more pipping. DS was able to video the one zipping last night so he is saving it for me. So far it's three Hamburgs and one Buff Orpington. I am glad my clutch was all fertile even if they don't all hatch out. I have a few swaps to do when I get home so it's nice to know the fertility is strong.

Congrats paintedpony!
wee.gif
I kinda did the same thing you guys did. I have two young roosters ( actually 3, but third only mates with the other silke, and she's not laying yet.), and because it's winter I didn't seperate. I wanted to do a test hatch not only because it was my second hatch, and some things went wrong with first ( long story). I also wanted to see if my roosters as young as they are were doing what they were supposed to. From my own observations I know who the father is, and I have had so far 8 chicks. 4 eggs are left. Two of those eggs were questionable so I'm not really counting those. The other two had movement at lockdown, but nothing since then.

So, 8 out of 10 ( 12 if you count the two ?'s isn't bad.
smile.png
) When it get closer to March, I'll seperate who I want and do another. The silkie will also be laying by then. I'll also have a new incubator so I can return the one I borrowed in time for them to do their hatches.
smile.png
I'm glad I took careful notes both times. I know now, what to have my settings at, and what one of the several problems was with the first hatch. I can safely say, I'm ready to roll this spring.
gig.gif

Bluemoon

Last edited:
I moved the 8 chicks out of the bator into the temp. brooder. Here they are. The huge white one is from an Isa egg, 2 of the black chicks are from BCM egg, and one black chick and the rest of the lighter colored chicks are from welsummer eggs. The most likely father is a Olive egger, or maybe a BCM

26177_the_new_flock_301.jpg

26177_the_new_flock_299.jpg

26177_the_new_flock_303.jpg

Bluemoon

I ended up with 13 out of 14 eggs. The last one should have been tossed before now. Just missed it I guess. I have 7 red sex links and six silkies.all are dry but some don't look it. Two have bloody bottoms and dragging a bit of yolk sak. what do I do about that? anyone?????

I'm waiting for my evening report on the chicks. I know three more were peeping and zipping when DS was leaving this morning but that was my last report. If they all make it that'll be 8-9 I think. I'm losing track dang it.

Bluemoon it sounds like your roos are doing their job over there.

Back
Top Bottom