Anybody hatching on Jan 9th?

Quote:
If they are actively bleeding put a little cornstarch or flour on it to try to stop the bleeding, otherwise just leave them alone and the yolk sac will dry and fall off. If they are getting pecked put them separate from the others.

I got brave enough to open the eggs that were left. 4 of the eggs only had a yolk so I guess I really started with 17, not 21. They were kind of dark to candle and I had a hard time seeing them so didn't candle except once on day 10. So out of the 17 viable ones I got 13 chicks. (7 B/B/S Marans and 6 B/B/S Ameracaunas) so I avg around 76% hatch rate on shipped eggs.
I guess I am pretty happy with that
smile.png
There were 4 that looked like they stopped developing somewhere along the line. The membranes were dry and the chicks didn't look too wet or anything ...dunno. I still feel bad for them, guess it gets easier the more you do it.

I moved everyone to the brooder and they are all doing fine. They were not actively bleeding. Just bloody looking. You are right.. By this morning the tiny bit hanging out had dried and looked like it would be gone by tonight. Last night I decided to clean up the one that looked the worst. It was the one I had to help out of the shell. It was a mess. Dried membrane all over it, I couldn't even pick it off when born. It was very hard to get out. It would have surely died without the help. Anyway, I gave it a warm bath last night and then gave it a blow drying. It LOVED it. the bath..... maybe not so much, but it freaked for about 5 seconds when the blow dryer came on, then it just stood there and didnt move. I turned it off wehn it was dry and it started wriggling and trying to get away, so I turned on the dryer again and it just preened in it.. so funny and so pretty now

Here's some of mine. I need to get some new ones now they were a little camera shy lol. I ended up with 4 blue marans and 3 black marans (from the BBS Marans) and all 6 of my BBS Ameracaunas are blue. I was hoping for a black Ameracauna roo and a splash Marans roo. I guess I will just have to breed the blues to the blues and wait
smile.png

Hatch day
45258_01-9-10.jpg

Close up of a few that would sit still and let me take thier pics
45258_bam.jpg

Group Shots
45258_bmaransbamer.jpg

45258_01-12-10.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom