Anybody have a pellet stove?

max13077

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Fingerlakes Upstate, NY
I just called about pellets for mine this morning. You want to get ripped off, buy a pellet stove. They were cheap to buy and run a couple years ago. That's until the companies figured out like oil and NG, they can rip you off in spades! For the last two years there have been mysterious "fires" and "mechanical breakdowns" at the plants the pellets are produced right about this time of year. So odd it happens like that and at that time.... Magically the price spikes just when people are buying them cause the supply is low. Even if they did have a fire, ten bucks says they started it to create the shortage!!!!

I've about had it taking it in the rear cause people in the energy business need another home in Tahiti. I’m going to invent a chicken poop powered car. And maybe heat my home with them too.

My daughter and her hubby have one but his parents own the business and so they get theirs at cost. My sister bought one last spring and she bought her pellets in the early summer, when they are cheeper. The guy told her that she was smart to buy when she did as they were double starting next week for the winter rush. Nice hey kind of like the gas going up 20 cents every Thurday and back down every Tues at least that is what happens here.

I hear ya on the energy companies.

Wood pellets have also put a damper on our horse bedding. We used to be able to get sawdust, wood chips from local mills pretty cheap per truck load. All the sawmills now sell all of it to the wood pellet makers. Also the price of wood shavings has gone up. Most of the wood shavings we see for sale are trucked in from Canada. But we are lucky enough to have a wood stove, only a few more face cord to cut and I'll be done until next spring.

We have had one for about 7 years. We loved it it but the past year or two, the price for pellets has gotten too expensive. :mad: We had a heat pump installed and now we just use the electric.

Quote:
Ours is an old farm house with bad windows, creaky floors, and all the rest. When we used oil the furnace seemed to be on all the time. It would cost us so much money to bring it up to standard that we'd have to live here 40 years to see any savings. Don't think that'll be happening. We just shut off most of the rooms upstairs, put plastic over the bedroom and most other rooms windows, and keep the pellet stove going.

But now the margin we're saving is getting thinner by the minute with the price of pellets heading up. I wish I knew how much oil we would actually use to keep the house warm just on average. That way I'd know how much we're saving.

I do keep some oil in the tank just in case. I didn’t like it last winter when I had to order some. Minimum delivery was 200 gallons and it was around 8 hundred dollars or so…. Ridiculous!!!!

We have an old wood/coal stove. Coal is cheap here. But it sure makes a mess. I know why they call it "spring cleaning" now. In the spring I have to clean everything that has a flat surface to get rid of the coal soot! Wood heat is wonderful but I fear the chainsaw! Hubby cut some wood last year but we went through all of it. I hope we get some more cut this fall. We have lots of downed trees.

I've been toggling between wood stove and waiting till fall of 09 for a pellet stove and pellets. As messy as wood is, there is nothing like it and it's instant heat. I'm going wood, thanks for the post.

Buying pellets is like any other commodity, go at the time of slack not demand and buy bulk. I have no problems getting 4 or 5 ton ordered and at a good price stocking up for the winter. Don't wait till it's going to be cool next week and not have arrangements. Order in June or July, but tell them the delivery date. Worked for me. I have geothermal now but wish I could have a pellet stove too. Not in the current fire district we are in.

Back
Top Bottom