Anybody have a recommendation for a high powered slingshot for elk control?

nuthatched

Orneriness & Co.
Premium Feather Member
Nov 9, 2019
God's Country, Az
Hi there.
We have a bad elk problem, I need to get them away from my property without wounding them or making noise since we now have too many idiots up here that feed them. (Which is a felony but we don't have enough people to enforce it)
I need recommendations on slingshot and if there's any sprays I can use to spook them. like wolf urine or something. maybe I'll paint the neighborhood.
Thanks!

Hi there.
We have a bad elk problem, I need to get them away from my property without wounding them or making noise since we now have too many idiots up here that feed them. (Which is a felony but we don't have enough people to enforce it)
I need recommendations on slingshot and if there's any sprays I can use to spook them. like wolf urine or something. maybe I'll paint the neighborhood.
Thanks!
To the best of my knowledge, feeding wildlife in Arizona does not constitute a felony. It is considered a petty offense based on H.B. 2129. It is only being enforced in counties that have a population over 280,000 (Maricopa, Pima and Pinal)

Contact your local game warden or DNR agent for advice on using repellents. Some states will provide sprays that can be deterrents. Most gardening sites sell deer repellents.

I would not recommend a slingshot but if you really feel the need for one, the Wrist Rocket has been around for a long time. Check your local laws since possession of a wrist rocket type slingshot is a misdemeanor in some areas.

To the best of my knowledge, feeding wildlife in Arizona does not constitute a felony. It is considered a petty offense based on H.B. 2129. It is only being enforced in counties that have a population over 280,000 (Maricopa, Pima and Pinal)

Contact your local game warden or DNR agent for advice on using repellents. Some states will provide sprays that can be deterrents. Most gardening sites sell deer repellents.

I would not recommend a slingshot but if you really feel the need for one, the Wrist Rocket has been around for a long time. Check your local laws since possession of a wrist rocket type slingshot is a misdemeanor in some areas.

Thank you for your reply.
I can't find anything against possessing or using a wrist braced sling shot in az.
Contacting the dnr isn't an option, as it is practically non existant in my County.
Any true issue that would have a need a dnr officer, the sheriff is sent out. Our local dnr is severely understaffed and mostly stay in the more populated half of the county and they don't appear to care about this area.
2 years ago, we had a bad drought, we had bears coming in and coyotes at all times of day, my neighbor found a deer at the end of the road down and peddling. She called dnr, considering all the deer diseases that have been spreading across the US in the last few years, you'd think they'd be on it to test the deer. ( since peddling is a sign of those diseases)
Nope, they sent out the sheriff, who put it down and left it there. In someones yard. In the middle of a neighborhood who had been calling in for bears all summer.
We called to see if they could take the deer out of town. Nope. ' The sheriff should have done that, call them. But if you move it, we'll arrest you for poaching.' We had bears and coyotes on that carcass for 3 weeks, no one stepped out of their house unless armed with something.
this is just one example, we have a few other incidents where they wouldn't/couldn't do anything but assured us if we did anything, they'd be on us like a duck on June bug.
We don't trust our dnr.
I feel the need to get tactical with the elk since they desperately need to be taught to fear people, we have proper who hand feed them and let their small children handfeed them, which is so stupid dangerous that I can't even comprehend it.
Elk will walk up to cars and people since they're used to being fed by them. Their health is suffering, I haven't seen a decent rack on a bull in this area in years and they're starting to get sleigh foot from all the corn.
It'll will just take one protective cow to hurt if not kill someone or one hormonal bull to get insulted and run someone through.
They need to be hazed.
I'll look in to wrist rockets, thank you.

They would just tear it down. (Just like deer do.)

I'm not talking a couple strands of wire. Welded wire 5’ or taller with pressure treated posts will NOT be taken down by deer. Electric on the outside of the fence along the ground and up high will deter many critters.

Don't call your local DNR but call the main office and ask what they recommend for a repellant. Usually when local isn't any help then State can unless you want a DNR rep to come out. Advice is usually available. When I lived in Mesa I hunted the Rim for Elk. Love Elk steak on the grill!!

I like the idea of electric wire. I have electric wires around my coops and pens of which I have several. I do have a very powerful fence charger. I believe it would keep a bear out. If you touch it you will hurt for a couple of days. I'm pretty sure if an elk touched it they wouldn't be back. Put something they like on the wire like peanut butter or whatever. If they go to mouth it or lick it or put their nose to it, they won't try it again. It won't kill them but will hurt. This website may help. I know it's more about predators but I think it would work. Just space the wires further apart.
http://www.plamondon.com/wp/faq-simple-electric-fences-chickens/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-treatise-on-electric-fencing.1117877/

They would just tear it down. (Just like deer do.)

if deer are defeating or tearing down your E fence, it’s advised to build a double perimeter 3D fence

here are some links, if interested, if not maybe it’ll help someone else...

I have no clue about using it for Elk though

https://www.srnpdx.org/electric-deer-fence.html

http://deerbuilder.com/DB/features/foodplots/FoodPlotElectricFencing/

89F96D73-97BA-4472-96AC-8B96D52214DD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom