Anybody have an open top run for your ladies??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by smalltownchicks, Nov 27, 2011.

1. smalltownchicks

smalltownchicks Seven Silly Hens

Jul 7, 2011
    We've been free ranging during the day when we are home, but the girls are getting more brave. They are wandering to the neighbors and it's just getting too dangerous. I scored a four foot high chain link dog run on craigslist. I really don't want a top on it but I'm checking to see what others are doing. They will have access to their small run under their coop during the time in the new run to get away from any air attacks. I really just want to keep them contained but give them more room, they just love to be outside!! If anybody has any pictures of any open run or ideas please advise.

2. zinia8

zinia8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    I too started with an open top run thinking they couldn't fly over but of course they did. 6ft high fencing. so I put bird netting on top kept them in and hawks out. I recently removed the netting because of the snow we had, it made the netting sag. Now I am going with a grid work pattern using mason line which is a heavy twine spaced about foot apart. so far it has kept them in. You can't really see it these pictures but...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    Too many predators to even consider an open top run.

4. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    My EEs and Rocks can easily fly 6 feet up. I've watched them fly up on my 8 foot awning. Their run is covered to keep them in when I want them shut in. I've seen my silkie cockerel flap climb a 4 ft fence. Chickens can be very determined and are good at figuring ways out.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    My run is open. I could cover it easy enough if needed but I don't see why I should considering they are ranging all day. My problem here wouldn't be snow. My trouble would be leaves and pine staw. I want to make it larger and don't to have an added on look with the cover so I'm leaving it off for now. During the day they have lots of spots to hide from trouble.

6. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    Too many aerial preditors here too. If an eagle can snag a poodle, it can snag a Buff Orpington.[​IMG]

7. mine is open. I used 4 ft. hight chicken wire and I guess i am just lucky. I had 2 that used to 'flew the coop'. For some reason they dont anymore. all 12 stay put until i get home from work and let them out to freerange.

They know where it's coming from... are you kidding? no way they would want to leave their cozy little home. I have never had to trim wings either. My pen is huge as well, maybe that's why. 500 sq ft.

my worry is for the red tail hawk that keeps hanging out. Seems like he is more after the blue jays and birds around and not the chickens though.

8. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mine are all in an open-top run. They don't fly out.
    They are surrounded by trees and even have a couple in the run so they are also protected against overhead attacks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by