Anybody have any ideas for chicken entertainment?

Thanks
smile.png

Anything new and it doesnt need to be complicated.

A piece of turf/weeds with roots and dirt or a bucket of grass clippings emptied in the run.

A pile of leaves raked from your yard,

I cut coconuts in half and let them gut it

Last edited:
That is a great one... put some scratch in the bottom of some plastic (smaller) bottles and hand them on a dowel. Once they figure out that there is food in their you'd keep them busy for hours.
That sounds mean. Do they ever get the scratch or just peck endlessly for no reward?

My idea is to get a kite w a picture of a hawk on it and fly it really low over them a couple times a day .. . Ha ha ha

Last edited:
a swing sounds awesome. I've hung a glitter ball from one of the hanging basket hooks, when it catches the light on a windy day the chickens love to dash and chase the imaginary treats. I'm sure they are convinced they can be caught.

A pile of leaves or yard clippings can be great fun. I don't have access to leaves except in the fall but my local feed store sells these HUGE bags of rice hulls. So I'll dump half a bag of those in their run and pepper it w/ seeds or rolled oats and that makes for hours of scratching good fun.

I also have one of those yellow treat balls you fill with seeds. They roll it around to get the seeds to fall out and they eat them. But my Jersey Giant is wicked smart and can empty that thing in 5 minutes and then she wants more so I don't put it out too often. I need to figure out a way to make the holes smaller so she has to work harder.

I shuck several ears of corn but don't pull the shucks all the way off. I tie a cord around the bunched together shucks and hang the bundle on one of their perches so the ears of corn hand about head height. Keeps the busy for hours and keeps the dirt off of the corn. They will clean every morsel of corn off the cobs.

When my 10 chickens look bored, I round them up and take them for a walk to a place in the yard they have been to before, but I put treats around for them to find. They have a little spring in their step, but mostly they're happy to have people company for a while. My husband built a swing for them out of a sturdy branch and chain which hangs in the coop. They seem to love it because they take turns swinging!!

Back
Top Bottom