Anybody have any pics of chocolate or dun colored chickens,dun sumatra

Pics
Quote:
If I remember right - Her parents were blue and black. She's not chocolate - That color cannot be created.

Sometimes it does happen that a blue will get brown or straw colored streaking in its plumage - This girl just may be entirely of that leaking color - But she's still beautiful!!

Illia, though the color cannot be created... it can "pop up" as a recessive gene out of blacks.... I think
hide.gif
I believe the orpington breed in particular has had this happen before.

This hen`s mother was a buff and her father was a blue. I have her with a black orp roo now, I have hatched 2 of her eggs, both of them hatched as brown pullets.
The hens you see with her are blue orps and a white orp.

Quote:
I forgot to mention, she was born brown and has always remained brown, no blue coloring what so ever in her lifetime.

She look to be a (Dark Brown) Dun.
The Buff hens color I bet is a Buff ( + Dun-Factor)
If you breed that (Dark Brown) Dun to a Black rooster you will get 50% Dark Brown Dun and 50% Black.
Dun is diluting black to a cold dark brown color when there is no (autosomal) red in the feather present. It doesent work on Red or Gold, only Black.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
How can you tell the differnce between the Chocolate color and the Dark Brown Dun? Is there lacing on the Dun? I know that the Duns don't breed true and the Chocolates do. What does autosomal mean?

Quote:
How can you tell the differnce between the Chocolate color and the Dark Brown Dun? Is there lacing on the Dun? I know that the Duns don't breed true and the Chocolates do. What does autosomal mean?

Autosomal: Pertaining to a chromosome that is not a sex chromosome. Non Sex-link.

The Chocolate gene is a sex linked recessive mutant gene, so the females cannot hide the gene. If they possess the chocolate gene, they will be Chocolate. Males, however can be carriers and require two copies to be visually Chocolate.

When you breed a Chocolate Rooster to Black Hen all the Cockerels will be Black and Pullets will be Chocolate...

Chris

i am working on adding the lav color to several LF breeds... and am planing on adding the dun and chocolate to the same LF breeds sense i can use the same black hens as the Lav project... unfortunately i have so far been unable to locate a khaki rooster of any breed
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

money is really not a problem i just cant find anyone that has one for sale that can ship 1 to me
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

i am also on a waiting list for some chocolate Saramas lol cant wait to see what a SaramaXOrpington will look like
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
49749_dun_oe.jpg
49749_dun2.jpg

Here are some pictures of some 2 week old Chocolate OEGB Bantams. They are actually Dun because they won't breed true. I can't wait until they feather out so I can get a better idea of the color they will be. If I understand right I should get Black, Brown and Splash, right now I am seeing different shades from light brown to dark brown maybe black.

Back
Top Bottom