Anybody heard from Tractor Supply, about Chick Days ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LarrySC, Feb 22, 2012.

1. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    I was at our local TSC yesterday, was told chick days are next week for us. (central Ohio)

2. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Do they ever have interesting breeds? Or is it always EE's, and sex links?

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

TSC corporate has lots of choices. Just click their "chick order form" or information sheet on the website. Trouble is, that each "zone or district" store chain is dependent upon which hatchery supplies them. This varies by region. The area manager may do the ordering. Corporate may do the ordering. The store manager may have a large say in the ordering. Best to have a chat with your local store manager, in person, and find out what you can.

One just cannot make generalities about a store chain this large.

4. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    The TSC here has both large and Bantam sizes but the Bantam sell out very quickly

5. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    so how does it work during "chick days" ? Do I have to pre order or does the store just end up getting alot and its first come first serve? I will take whatever egg laying type they get. And how much do they charge per chick?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

This is all explained on the TSC website. Yes, you can special order. Order form is on the website. Yes, you can just go to the store and see what they MIGHT have in stock that particular day. Talk with the manager. Sometimes the manager knows what he/she has coming next week or the week after. Sometimes not. The prices are also posted on the TSC website. The local store manager can sometimes "over ride" that price if he needs to get rid of an over stock situation. Plan on paying around $2.50 per chick on average.

7. LarrySC

LarrySC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    It just means that "Chick Days" officially starts on the 27th;; does not mean every store will have chicks that day

8. LarrySC

LarrySC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    The stores themselfs never know what they are getting;; We have got Buff Orpingtons; Silver Laced Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds; Amber Links ( best layers), and Easter Eggers, and also Pekin Ducks in the last two years here in Florence, SC

9. hjvac25

hjvac25 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Michigan
    I was told last week that they don't know an exact date but they were told last week of February or first week of March. I guess you just have to keep calling until they know :-(

10. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by