Anybody here use an aircard for internet access?

NancyDz

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Dutch Flat, CA
I may move farther up into the mountains as my neighbors are becoming unbearable!
So the only internet access I would have there would be an aircard of some sort.
The landlord told me Sprint and Verizon work for sure up there as his neighbors use
it. I have AT&T for my cell service and it did work there too. So I guess I could get any of the three but may get a better deal with AT&T . Anyone use one and how is the connection? Slow, fast? Do you stay connected or get dropped a lot? How much do you pay? Any info will help, I have to decide in the next two days if I'm going to move....

THanks

Nancy

I have a card with sprint and a blackberry w/ nextel. Even though they are the same network they both get service better in different places. I'm happy with it.
My cost really isn't to bad. But I had to change my plan a couple times before I found one that was right. I haven't been dropped yet and I live in a area that has no cable service and limited sat. service.

i live out in the boondocks also, I have an air card from Verizon. Love it, beats dial up any day.

Cool, thanks ! With my company discount I can get a 5G card from aT&T for $43 a month.... I think Sprint would be $48 with discount... havent been able to figure out Verizon yet.
Is 5G enough? I download a ton of spreadsheets and big files from work every day? Is there an unlimited plan available?

How do you pick a card ? Do they vary a lot? there are a lot of choices some look more like a thumb drive and other's a card.

Thanks

Nancy

I use an AT&T usb Aircard in my personal laptop, and AT&T internal Aircard
in mt work laptop, and I also can use my iPhone as a tethered 3g modem.

My personal Aircard is $69 per month on my family plan. There is a 5G limit
and they do not offer an unlimited plan. 5 gigs is a LOT if you don't download
movies or use bit torrent programs. They don't charge if you exceed 5g but may
start.

Performance is good, depending on the area. I've had issues with my USB
aircard and Compaq laptop. I'd suggest using a PCMIA or Express card type
aircard.

I have DSL at home but I have used my aircard extensively from hotels, friends
houses, & out on the road.

with byc and my online games i push 5g every other week
smile.png
I have unlimited for like 67$ a month, but I got a contract when these guys were first starting out hahahahahahahahhahahaha suckers. They can't raise my prices and I have unlimited data usage
tongue.png

Quote:
You lucked out and have the old plan, before they implemented the 5g cap.
No one I've spoken to or read posts from has been charged for overages.
You know someday it's coming though.

The 3rd favorite forum is howardforums.com
Chickens, kayaks and cellphones makes me fun at a party.
hmm.png

Excellent info guys thank you!

It looks like none of them offer more then 5G so Boyd lucked out. Hopefully it won't matter, I dont download movies or anything like that, just work stuff and a little surfing.
smile.png

Okay I think I'll apply for this place and be back on acreage with no close neighbors!!
wee.gif

Now I have to go figure out my predator proofing... lots more critters up there!
hmm.png

Nancy

I have the Verizon usb modem and its a love hate relationship.

When it works, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

When it doesn't, man do I hate it.

roll.png

But we have pretty poor signal in our area, in fact Verizon is the ONLY company that gets any signal at all. Thank goodness we're moving soon.

The customer service is pretty good.

I browse the internet all day and we play World of Warcraft and don't usually pass 4GB a month.

Back
Top Bottom