anybody know of a hatchery that sells started pullets

I would post on craigslist that you are looking for point of lay pullets (17-24 weeks) in the breeds you would like.
You could also see if there are any small animal auctions. Visit with the feed store and find chicken farmers in the area. Those aren't really "rare" breeds, you should be able to locate them. You could also post in the Chicken for sale spot here on BYC that you need these breeds and see if anyone is near you...

The problem with Meyer's for example is that the shipping is incredibly high! I think it was like $13/ bird for Red Stars, but the shipping was $15...and you had to order a certain number.

It's hard to wait the 5 months for a layer to develop. My chicks from September are now starting to lay. It was a LONG wait!

Good luck!

i have ads on CL and a few other sites .. i know the birds are not rare that's why i cant believe the trouble i am having finding them .. maybe i am impatient ,,i have been looking for a little over a week

I believe Mc Murray hatchery has pullets that are started. Their number is 1-800-456-3280, I have been getting all of my chicks from them, and they have excellent birds.
love.gif

The problem you are having is that most that sell STARTED/17 week pullets, only raise a couple breeds usually leghorn, red and black stars. The shipping is the expensive part.

I believe you'll have to find them locally. No hatchery I know of sells what your specifally looking for. Keep trying CL something will break. And a local small animal sale would be an easy route, just be careful what you take home, if it doesn't look right - it isn't. Good luck:)

i have been searching CL for a little over a week now, both Cville and Hburg . i found a guy with 5 rir in Chase City but thats 3 hours away
sad.png
and they are only 3 months old . which brings me too this question..... can 3 month old birds be put in the coop without a heat lamp or are they to young ?

Back
Top Bottom