Anybody know what this looks like?

I think it would be hard to say if sick birds were sold, or if they developed possible Mareks after arriving and being exposed to it at home. Many of the big national hatcheries as well as the rare bird breeders, have shipped chicks who have eventually developed Mareks. The vaccine can be given at hatch, but the chicks may still not be protected until they are a minimum of 2 weeks old. These chicks were not vaccinated, so hard to know for sure.

Crop problems can cause unusual neck movements and “adjusting the crop,” but this hen has a wry neck and sometimes the movements can be neurological or similar to seizure activity.
It definitely looks like she is trying to “adjust” something. My gf said this morning she felt her crop area and while it didn’t feel big or hard in there it did feel soft and swollen. Waiting on the vet to get back to me. The quarantined ones did 7 days of oral trimethoprim and meloxicam and have been on Tylosin going on 6 days. That seems like a lot, and killing too much good crop bacteria seems like a definite possibility, but I don’t know when to stop the Tylosin.

I think it would be hard to say if sick birds were sold, or if they developed possible Mareks after arriving and being exposed to it at home. Many of the big national hatcheries as well as the rare bird breeders, have shipped chicks who have eventually developed Mareks. The vaccine can be given at hatch, but the chicks may still not be protected until they are a minimum of 2 weeks old. These chicks were not vaccinated, so hard to know for sure.
This is our very first flock of chickens in a brand new coop I built in a yard that has never had other chickens in it. I got all the birds from the same place. So if it is Marek’s, it without a doubt came with them from the hatchery.

Thank you.
I really hate to see people sell sick birds. I think it's just horrible.
I found a Colorado chicken FB page that has posts about Marek’s confirmed by CSU (veterinary teaching school) (also where I took my birds) in chickens that were gotten from this same hatchery.

I found a Colorado chicken FB page that has posts about Marek’s confirmed by CSU (veterinary teaching school) (also where I took my birds) in chickens that were gotten from this same hatchery.
This happens all the damn time.
It's not your fault for not knowing and I'm sorry you're having to learn the hard way.

For whatever reason I find it funny/weird/strange that the people who continue to knowingly sell sick birds are never active members on BYC.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to research a buyer before you buy from them. This is really difficult when new chicken owners aren't even aware that it's happening.

This is our very first flock of chickens in a brand new coop I built in a yard that has never had other chickens in it. I got all the birds from the same place. So if it is Marek’s, it without a doubt came with them from the hatchery.
Yes and they probably already know the disease is in their flock and they don't care as long as they can make a buck.

For whatever reason I find it funny/weird/strange that the people who continue to knowingly sell sick birds are never active members on BYC.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to research a buyer before you buy from them. This is really difficult when new chicken owners aren't even aware that it's happening.
This is exactly what happened to us. We thought that sending chicks in the mail was straight barbaric so we weren’t going to do that. I did some research and found this hatchery that has a beautiful website and lots of glowing reviews. From people just like me where things like Marek’s aren’t even on our uneducated radar. The place is like a three hour round trip from me.

Now I know.

This is exactly what happened to us. We thought that sending chicks in the mail was straight barbaric so we weren’t going to do that. I did some research and found this hatchery that has a beautiful website and lots of glowing reviews. From people just like me where things like Marek’s aren’t even on our uneducated radar. The place is like a three hour round trip from me.

Now I know.
I am so sorry but hopefully this thread will prevent the next newbie from making the same mistake.

We got them from a place called Serenity Sprouts

https://www.serenitysprouts.com/

I told them about the first bird. Haven’t said anything else to them because the full finished necropsy report hasn’t come back yet. We started with 6 chicks from them. 1 died at 6 weeks. Got 2 more from them. Another one of the first group died at 12 weeks. So I have 6 total. 4 doing great in the coop run, 2 still on quarantine. The 2 in quarantine are the 2 new ones. The Americana is 13 weeks and the polish is 14 weeks.
Hello,
I was wondering what the outcome was of your bird doing this movement. We have one that just started doing the same thing and we're trying to figure out what it is. We also bought our birds from Serenity Sprouts and we also opted for them to be vaccinated for Mareks and one of ours died from it. We're hoping that this is not Mareks in the one that's doing this neck thing now. Taking her to the vet this morning, but I'd like to know how things turned out for you.

Back
Top Bottom