Anybody know who this guy was?

He's not a Chantie; my avatar was, and here's another picture;

Attachments

• IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0637.JPG
    855.9 KB · Views: 9
Wow. He was stunning.
He's not an Orpington, orps have a single comb, but he could have had orp somewhere in his lineage as he looks like he was a big boy. If you could find a reputable English Orpington breeder, I have found they make wonderful roosters and most have a low crow that doesn't carry far. They take good care of their ladies and love their humans.

Well that's good news. I have 2 English Orpingtons from this year hatch. Ordered eggs twice, got a single hatch from each order, and both were boys. Pretty boys, but still boys. Lol. Disappointing for sure, but maybe they'll come in handy after all!

There's no points on that comb--was he always like that, or did he lose them to frostbite? (Helps figure out what comb type, which can help at guessing breed.)

His comb was always like that. I certainly don't have anybody else with such a comb around here, except for some of his offspring. I tried to figure him out once by searching for breeds with a cushion combs, but came up empty. Of course, if he's a mix, I suppose it could be just about anything.

Well that's good news. I have 2 English Orpingtons from this year hatch. Ordered eggs twice, got a single hatch from each order, and both were boys. Pretty boys, but still boys. Lol. Disappointing for sure, but maybe they'll come in handy after all!

And you're right. He was big.

His comb was always like that. I certainly don't have anybody else with such a comb around here, except for some of his offspring. I tried to figure him out once by searching for breeds with a cushion combs, but came up empty. Of course, if he's a mix, I suppose it could be just about anything.
He might have some Wyandotte in his background. I didn't know Sandhill had barnyard mixes, if he did come from there. I have been mulling around the idea of ordering some breeds from them...

He might have some Wyandotte in his background. I didn't know Sandhill had barnyard mixes, if he did come from there. I have been mulling around the idea of ordering some breeds from them...

I don't think they have barnyard mixes per se, but I do remember some special deal that can include "project birds" he's working on, so maybe... But also maybe he didn't come from there. I've ordered twice from them and have been really happy with my birds. The downside is the minimum order size, and their old fashioned way of doing things. (Or maybe that's endearing?)

Chanteclers have yellow legs and come in white and partridge. Yours looks to have pink legs, but everything else looks like what chanteclers should look like. If they were working with project breeds, he very well could have that in him as well.

I suppose you might try sending Sandhill a picture of him and ask if they are working on developing anything similar. Point out the leg color, size of the bird, temperament and unusual comb. Do the same with any other hatchery you may have gotten him from. Maybe you can track down his origins that way. Good luck! Oh, and then share with us, I would not mind having such a gentleman in my own flock!

Maybe a cross that included Chantecler and Orpington? That could account for both the comb type and the leg color. Both can come in white, and Sandhill currently has both in white, so not an impossible cross.

Sandhill's Mystery Chicken Assortment says:
"Occasionally we have some extras from genetic crossing experiments. I’ve long had an interest in genetics and, on occasion, I do some experimental crosses between breeds. This assortment can have anything from our projects..."

So mixed-breed birds are certainly possible from Sandhill (although it looks like they send mixes only if you order that particular assortment; all the rest are purebreds of one sort or another.)

It's great fun to poke around Sandhill's site :)
I want to order at least half of the kinds sell, but so far I'm just at the wishful thinking stage :(

Back
Top Bottom