Anybody like Caterpillars?

chickypoo

Songster
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
Colorado
big_smile.png
I have found the last few ones of the season! I have three, one is in a chrysalis, one is getting ready for it and the other is still growing. They are nice little guys, quite, easy to keep and I am pretty sure they are a type of swallowtail.
cool.png

Photo11.jpg

Annie is on the left and Mini Me is on the right

Photo13.jpg

This is Nick, he has been a chrysalis for about a day now. For some reason none of the sticks I gave him were good enough, he chose to change in an old egg carton.
roll.png

I picked up a very fuzzy greenish-yellow one today with spikey black hairs in a couple spots and put him in a tree so he could avoid the chickens. Wonder what it will turn in to?

Well I did a little digging and found that they are either Eastern or Western Swallowtail Butterflies. Most likely they are western, I am a bit far for the easterns, but we'll see. I did read that sometimes they will turn into a chrysalis and over winter that way! I don't think I could wait that long, I hope they hatch!

I have a soft spot for caterpillars too, even when I know they're just moths. I found a 3 inch long "woolly bear" this morning on the patio.

I moved him to the woodpile before the chickens found him!

Back
Top Bottom