Anybody on here ever heard of Caponizing ?

Ok here go's,
When I started raising chickens 3 years ago, I was interested in capons. I read everything there was on caponizing chicks. They are done early between two and three weeks. It's a very simple proceedure once you know what you are doing. I simply asked around and found an old Judge that was an old capon chicken farmer and asked him if he could show me this proceedure. After loading up 25 of my chicks, I headed over to his place that was about 56 miles from me. After doing five for me, he said now you finnish up the rest. There are very many misconceptions about caponizing here on this forum. The largest breed of chicken today will not get as big as a capon and the taste is not the same. I choose to raise capons as there are hardly any farmers raising them anymore and did not want to see this fall by the wayside as many things do because of people would rather take the easy way out. There is no super bread that can come close to a capon. If you think it's somehow cruel for someone to do this proceedure, then don't do it. just for the record, all of my 25 chicks survived this very simple proceedure. If you think you want to caponize, just hunt down the oldest chicken farmer in your area, if there are any farms left, and have an old master mentor you on how it's done. By the way, my capons averaged between 16 and 18 pounds, none of my Jersey Giants or Super X rocks ever came anywhere close to that size. I love my animals as much as the next person and when caponizing is done properly, it's is very safe and sound proceedure that can be accomplished in a matter of 15 seconds or so. I have 14 roosters as pets, and getting ready to place this years order for my meat birds and getting more hens for eggs. I have 72 hens now and have a variety of each standard breed, americanas are one of my favorites.

J.R. Richards :

Ok here go's,
When I started raising chickens 3 years ago, I was interested in capons. I read everything there was on caponizing chicks. They are done early between two and three weeks. It's a very simple proceedure once you know what you are doing. I simply asked around and found an old Judge that was an old capon chicken farmer and asked him if he could show me this proceedure. After loading up 25 of my chicks, I headed over to his place that was about 56 miles from me. After doing five for me, he said now you finnish up the rest. There are very many misconceptions about caponizing here on this forum. The largest breed of chicken today will not get as big as a capon and the taste is not the same. I choose to raise capons as there are hardly any farmers raising them anymore and did not want to see this fall by the wayside as many things do because of people would rather take the easy way out. There is no super bread that can come close to a capon. If you think it's somehow cruel for someone to do this proceedure, then don't do it. just for the record, all of my 25 chicks survived this very simple proceedure. If you think you want to caponize, just hunt down the oldest chicken farmer in your area, if there are any farms left, and have an old master mentor you on how it's done. By the way, my capons averaged between 16 and 18 pounds, none of my Jersey Giants or Super X rocks ever came anywhere close to that size. I love my animals as much as the next person and when caponizing is done properly, it's is very safe and sound proceedure that can be accomplished in a matter of 15 seconds or so. I have 14 roosters as pets, and getting ready to place this years order for my meat birds and getting more hens for eggs. I have 72 hens now and have a variety of each standard breed, americanas are one of my favorites.

I agree with you.. I would also do capons if I knew how..

I don't know about the taste thing, though.. every other meat gets described as tasting like chcken, so why not a capon?
wink.png

You (we) are a minority on this web site I'm afraid.. most of the people here are raising just pets.. and how many posts have words like: eeeyuuu or yucky, or gross..
lau.gif

I would love to know how to caponize a chick... I have read everything I could find on it. I even bought two kits off e-bay, old ones, but just haven't tried it yet.

All right, J.R. Richards, you've motivated me. I'm going to start asking around here to see if I can find someone to show me how to caponize. I think that's the best way for me, it's the way I learned to process meat birds, by watching & doing alongside someone experienced.

The next best thing is if you could put together a photo tutorial, the way Frugal did with his processing pics. hint hint!

One question I have is how can you be sure you're working on boy birds when you're caponizing them at 2-3 weeks old? I'd want to do this to the mixed-breed roos that hatch here, to get them to grow more meaty than they would if left intact. But I wouldn't know which ones were roos until perhaps 6-9 weeks. Would caponizing be as effective for chicks that old?

From what I've heard, vent sexing is a difficult skill to master, requiring many hours of training & practice. Is that really true? I know the pros at the hatcheries get so proficient they can correctly sex chicks in seconds (well, with 90% accuracy) but I think they've done a lot of work to get that good.

If I had ordered a batch of boys from a hatchery, or got a bunch of packing peanuts with an order, I'd caponize them at 2-3 weeks. Otherwise, I think it would be better to wait until they were a bit older & more obviously boys.

So the question now is, which is more difficult to do? Learn to vent sex young chicks or caponize at 6-9 weeks?

Do you think maybe the vent sexers get good at sexing by sexing then caponizing? It would give you a instant answer to how good your sexing skills are! I wouldn't let it stop you. I plan on dispatching the birds BEFORE I caponize them. While I'm learning the skills of caponizing I might as well learn sexing too! Unfortunately the cost of learning the skills is the possibility that you will most likely dispatch some very young hens. Nobody likes to kill things "just because" I like to think of it as more of an investment in knowledge. Better yet seeking wisdom!
wink.png

I've been trying to figure out a good way of learning this skill, myself. I don't really want to get into raising capons for profit, but they are not offered for sale in my area. It seems like a good way to keep males around for a while and yet keep them from getting too feisty and gamey tasting. Besides, This way you could have fresh chicken "on the hoof" instead of having to raise a batch of broilers and then freeze them.

Back
Top Bottom