1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Anybody Read.....................

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CoyoteMagic, Sep 29, 2007.

1. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

The latest Issue of Mother Earth News article Real Free-Range Eggs ?

I don't have all the science but I know just by the look and the taste, MY eggs are better than store bought! Bright Orange yoks, firm not slimey whites, and nice smooth, solid shells.

True only 2 of my girls are laying "regular sized" eggs and the rest are just "pullet" eggs. (I think they are all 8 laying now) They are just turning 24 weeks but I have one that consistantly lays double yokers!!!

The feathered fiends get out to free-range everyday from about noon til dark. Only one neighbor has fussed that they were "messing around in her pine needles". But we have no leash laws for chickens in Gaston County, lol.

PS Between work and a broken foot I have been out of circulation, Hope all are doing well!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Youch on the broken foot...I've broken toes which is really fun too...
    I haven't read the article.
    Messing in the pine needles...Good Goddess...doesn't she know that moving the needles around some will make the mosquito nests dry up...
    Lucky you on the double yolkers.

3. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Coyote,

We missed you!!! I hope you are doing better.

jackie

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Just responding to title of post

NO, I just come here to look at the pictures. Its a guy thing we READ all our magizines that way too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  5. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Yep - I read it too. The problem for quite some time has been the definition of "free range". Free range does NOT mean (legally) that the birds have any access to pasture or are in any way encouraged to go outside. So, large scale "free range" is essentially equivlent to "cage free" birds that are raised in pole barns. Certainly better than caged from an animal-treatment perspective, but no better in quality of egg.

Another interesting note (according to a U of MN booklet I read) is that "free range" actually has mixed connotations to people. Some view it as better, but others think of it as inconsistant in quality (memories of getting a bad egg at grandma's?). One possibility is to use "pasture raised" or some-such.

-Frank

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by