Anybody spin, weave, knit, crochet from their sheep or alpacas?

JillsChicks

Songster
12 Years
May 31, 2007
Western NY
We have had an alpaca farm for six years now and have enjoyed these furry, cute critters immensely. I recently saw some yarn that had feathers spun into it and thought what a cool yarn that would be to try to make on my spinning wheel. I'm wondering if anyone else out there does chickens and alpacas or sheep. I'll be getting my first two sheep at the end of July when they are weaned - a black shetland/tunis cross wether and either a corriedale/tunis ewe or a shetland/romney/tunis ewe.

We are trying to reduce our alpaca herd from 7 to three as my husband wants to travel with the kids and not worry so much about leaving pregnant females behind - we won't breed anymore. Anybody need an alpaca or two?

I'd love to chat with folks who enjoy fiber arts AND chickens! Ann
Jill and Liam with tunis/corriedale ewe and lamb
100_0334Small.jpg

Liam with "Friar Tuck," our Shetland/Tunis wether
100_0331Small.jpg

Me with yarn I've just washed up
100_0457Small.jpg

Hi Ann, I knit (not well) and am learning to spin (better than my knitting), and I am also starting an alpaca farm (that's one of the reasons I got the chickens). I just picked my first one out from a local breeder, she is bred and due in Sept., but since my pastures aren't ready yet she won't move in until October. I am adopting a llama from a lady in a divorce to keep them company/guard and I can't wait to spin my own fiber. I'd love to chat with you about the alpacas you are downsizing, I'll probably be looking for a gelding to keep them company (especially if she has a male cria) and I'm always interested in looking at another bred or even maiden female.

I don't know if I'll try the feathers in the yarn as I am allergic to feathers (yea, I know...), but I think it'd look cool. I think I even saw some yarn like that in the Ashford spinning magazine.

Back
Top Bottom