What is your favorite electrolyte supplement?

Kaw-Liga

🐝🐓🌼
May 3, 2022
Louisiana
Hi, guys! ❤️

I’m a fairly seasoned chicken keeper with a mature flock. I’ve used a variety of electrolyte and probiotic supplements for routine maintenance, but am wondering if any of you would like to share what your go-to’s or favorites are? Which products have you noted to be most effective? Are there specific products that your flocks prefer, or that you have noticed are most helpful or economic?

Depending on the situation, I’ve used hydro-hen, sav-a-chick packets, durvet packets, rooster booster vitamins & electrolytes with lactobacillus, nutri-drench…

All comments and any insights welcome!

For chicks and adults, I use Hydro-Hen. Initially, I had bought those Sav-a-Chick packets, but when I ran out a couple of years ago, I had bought a big bag of the former.

For chicks, Day 2, Nutradrench water. For anyone seeming ill or for the silkie ticks, Poultry Cell water twice a week.

I use this for electrolyte/vitamin supplement, I like it as it has less salts than most. And as @Debbie292d stated Nutri-drench for hatchlings and ill/off feed birds.
1715713492890.png

Genuine question. Why would healthy adult chickens need any electrolytes? Surely they get all the minerals and salts they need from their food.
They need extra when they get really hot, like in 90+ weather, or if they've been stressed out over something, like a wild animal, dog, etc. It helps them handle it better.

I’ve used a variety of electrolyte and probiotic supplements for routine maintenance, but am wondering if any of you would like to share what your go-to’s or favorites are? Which products have you noted to be most effective? Are there specific products that your flocks prefer, or that you have noticed are most helpful or economic?
I have never used any electrolye supplement for routine maintenance. If the chickens are healthy and conditions are normal, they can get all they need from the feed and some plain water.

I have used grit that claimed to had probiotics on it, not because I thought the probiotics were needed, but just because it was what the store had in stock that day. Apart from that, I have not given probiotics to any chickens. I would not consider them necessary under normal conditions with healthy chickens.

They need extra when they get really hot, like in 90+ weather, or if they've been stressed out over something, like a wild animal, dog, etc. It helps them handle it better.
None of those sound like "routine maintenance," which is what the OP specifically mentioned in their first post :confused:

I have never used any electrolye supplement for routine maintenance. If the chickens are healthy and conditions are normal, they can get all they need from the feed and some plain water.

I have used grit that claimed to had probiotics on it, not because I thought the probiotics were needed, but just because it was what the store had in stock that day. Apart from that, I have not given probiotics to any chickens. I would not consider them necessary under normal conditions with healthy chickens.

None of those sound like "routine maintenance," which is what the OP specifically mentioned in their first post :confused:
True, just answering what @RoyalChick asked. We never give electrolytes routinely, but they're getting probiotics routinely through the every other day of fermented grains.

Out of 8 years of raising silkies, I've been fermenting for about 2 years. Any difference? Nope. But I'll keep doing it as I know it's healthy for them. It's a labor of love I guess. :old

Back
Top Bottom