Anybody Use a Camper for a Chicken House?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Orange Ribbon, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    My chickens are getting all grown up now and we're running a little tight on room. I've been wanting to build another chicken house, and although I have access to some free lumber I would still have to buy roofing and some other stuff, and I just haven't had the funds. Two of my brothers had an old camper sitting behind a shed they don't use anymore, and I got to thinking how good that thing would be for a chicken house. [​IMG] So I asked them what they wanted for it. They said they would trade it to me for a lifetime supply of eggs. Sounded great to me! [​IMG] So I went down yesterday and pulled that baby up to my place and parked it right beside one of my other chicken pens. Just got to put some fencing around it for another lot. It is going to work great. I'm leaving the top bunk in for them to roost on plus put a couple poles across the other end. Bottom bunk and table/bed will make great places for nesting boxes. I can even stick on or two in the bathroom. A couple low drawers pulled out should make a couple more. I can crack the windows for ventilation. I'm taking out the propane stove which I can use to boil water when it comes processing time, and if I can get the little fridge out it might make another incubator. I sure came out good on that deal. [​IMG]

Anyone else ever use a camper for a chicken house?

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] That sounds like an excellent home for chickens! Should be safe, swecure from predators, and you shouldn't have to worry about heat in the winter.

3. Coffeemama7

Coffeemama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Central Illinois
    GREAT idea! FREE IS GOOD!
    Make sure you strip all the carpet up!
    The lice love carpet and it is really hard to fight them one established, I've been told.[​IMG]

I use an old open stock horse trailer for my bantams!
    I took an old plastic dog kennel apart and set the two halves on the floor.
    They go under them in the rain, and sit on top to roost.

Chicken wire covers the open areas. Not so pretty, but works great.

I do not use a tractor for the little ones, because when we move it, they escape!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. 70monte

70monte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Aurora, MO
    The people I just bought my Black Australorps from were using an old camper as one of their coops. It was probably 16ft long and they had made a pop door coming out of the back of the camper with a ramp. They said someone at work had given it to them. I was going to use an old camper for a coop but couldn't find one. I think it would work great.

Wayne

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    We went to pick up some lumber from a neighbor and they were making a coop out of a 50's Shasta travel trailer. I think it's a great idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by