Anybody use CBD oil for their older dog?

Ah, hey, I have Tramadol too! I have endometriosis. I'd rather try pot, frankly, the Tramadol gives me a headache to get off of if I have to take it a couple days in a row. Probably still better for me than pain-stress, though.

I can't stress this enough: before giving any substance to your animal where the effects aren't widely known (i.e. not an antibiotic ointment, a food, or an approved medication), CONSULT YOUR VET. You can literally just call a nearby vet and ask "hello, I have X pet, is Y substance safe for it?" and if that vet won't answer, call a different one!
The same goes for any sort of health concern with an animal. CALL A VET. It's free, and probably a better idea than going on the Internet and asking a bunch of strangers. It's also faster than waiting for advice, if we're talking emergency situation.

My elderly dog uses CBD derived from hemp (so no THC) from the pet store on recommendation from my vet. I feel that it helps her quality of life, she has both arthritis and a tumor on her spleen and she has lived far longer than we were expecting given her condition and thus far has retained a good quality of life. I have used products from Cannapet as well as another brand Holistic Hound and have been happy with both and both are formulated specifically for pets. I feel it is worth trying as it is mild without negative side effects. These products cannot get your pet high. They do not seem to cause stomach upset or anything either. For arthritis and joint mobility my dogs also take fish oil pills and glucosamine/chondroiten/msm tablets. (The vet advised it must have the msm to properly metabolize) I purchase the human variety of these both as it is more economical than the pet variety and safe pet my vet.

I have three autoimmune diseases that cause chronic pain. I use CBD oil for myself, and yes, it works. It's an anti-inflammatory, and takes a few weeks to start seeing results. I've heard it works for dogs just as well as for people. And like others have said, CBD oil does NOT contain THC, so it is safe for animals (if anything, it would give them a glossy coat!). I would use an eyedropper full for a dog, which would be 1 - 2 milligrams, based on how the stuff is packaged. I've had good luck with the brand Pure Kana. It's a little pricey, but good. Another cheaper option is Select CBD. You can order both brands online (although I think they just sell people-versions).

Yes, it is a good idea to consult your vet, but many of them aren't very knowledgeable about CBD oil, because it just coming into vogue (same with human doctors... I asked my doctor about it and he knew nothing at all...said that they don't train the doctors about that). So if your vet doesn't know anything about it, you may need to do research on your own. I know many CBD companies offer the stuff *just* for dogs... for example: https://www.innovetpet.com/products/purcbd

Again, there is plenty of reading material on CBD oil out there. So far, I've never heard of it harming anyone, human or canine.
Good luck!

IMG_7255.JPG
IMG_7256.JPG
IMG_7257.JPG

Also, if this has not already been done, have your vet check your dog's spine. One time my dog started waking on 3 legs. This went on for about a month with no improvement. The vet found absolutely nothing wrong with her leg. The vet did determine that the dog may have a pinched nerve in her spine and performed a chiropractic spinal adjustment. The results were virtually instant and my dog walked on 4 legs ever since.

We have a 6 year old Jack Russell/Border Collie mix female that we are giving just Hemp oil to. She had a run in with a neighbor's truck when she was just 1 year old and broke her pelvis. Naturally she gets 'owie' at times around her hips and lower back. We give her Remadyl but hate giving her NSAIDs frequently at such a young age. So we started with the Hemp oil and I have to say, it really does work wonders for her. She has gone from 3-4 Remadyls per week to 0. If we could get the true CBD oil here we would use it.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I was on the fence but will talk to my vet about it to see if she thinks it's a good idea to try on Grace.
I always consult my vet before adding anything to the dogs diets or medical regime because some of them are on long term special diets or medications for various ailments. Many years ago, I worked both in the pet industry as well as at a vet clinic, so know the importance of getting your vet's yes or no. I also understand the power of the dollar and the way the pet industry, esp. supplements/holistic treatments are marketed. Some companies are top notch and some just like to cash in on the fad of the week/month.
Like Peepsi stated above, not all vets are versed in "holistic" methods of treatments esp. those coming into vogue or are "the latest fad". I have a good vet team so I'm not worried there. My DH is one of those it sounds good so lets go for it types where as I'm more cautious since supplements have no real FDA regulations.
I wanted to get info from people who have used CBD oil to see if it's something worth while to pursue. I have started researching and the reason I asked the "random internet" strangers here is because A) Y'all are real nice and B) Y'all tell it like it is! lol. As with any research, one runs into many forms of info and truths- from the real to the fabricated to sell stuff truth. Testimonials can be a double edged sword depending on where they come from but I find sometimes asking straight up people who are not vested in one company for a product but the actual product itself, I can get a clearer picture of weather the product it worth a try or not.

I also use CBD oil for my 11 year old dog with arthritis in her hips. It has made a huge difference, more than any other product tried. I've used several brands, Source, CBDK9 and another I can't remember. She went from losing her back legs from under her and not being able to get up by herself to being a really normal dog. She even can jump on the bed again and plays with my 6 month old (huge) pyrenees puppy without issue. My vet is fine with it. I have carprofen for really bad days if she tweaks something, and can use both if needed. Since placebo effect obviously is not a factor for dogs, I'm totally convinced by what my eyes have shown me.

Thanks @coach723 always good to hear from those who have I grew up a pothead gave it up for college yes we got our dog high we did back then old white haired lady now

Back
Top Bottom