1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anybody use DE in carpet?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by carladababe, Sep 2, 2011.

1. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    We have a bad flea problem indoors, I understand you can use DE in the carpet. Anyone have? How did it work?[​IMG]

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Getting ready to. Through my research you spread it, crush it down with a broom and leave it in the carpet for 3 days to a week then vaccuum. Cuts them and drys them out.

3. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I have, and by itself, it helped some, but didn't eradicate. I took salt, borax and DE, mixed it all together, and powdered the you know what out of our carpets. We now have relief. Oh, and switched from Frontline to Comfortis for the dog. That stuff (Comfortis) is THE STUFF!!!!

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Comfortis is, indeed, 'da bomb' for fleas! Now they have come out with a heartworm preventative AND flea pill in one--TRIFEXIS. And it is actually cheaper to buy than Heartgard & Comfortis separately--at my vet's, anyway.

5. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    I use sevin, and borax in the house, every dog gets long term preventative, but some people, I;ve read have put adams on their chickens, and...ivermectin, drops you can put on your chickens too.. sounded good, from a thread I read, they sounded very knowledgable - hope tractor supply has it, I can't wait for frost

6. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:We did the same, started with DE, then we did the borax the next time. We eventually got rid of them last fall. Last summer was the worse ever for fleas as long as I have had dogs! We had to try three different fleas meds from the vet. Did not have a tick problem, but fleas were everywhere! This year we bought flea meds for the cats from the vet's.... We went to Sam's Club & bought their brand, for the dogs, I think it is $25.00, and it has worked this year... Oh yea, we got rid of the carpet in all but our four bedrooms, replaced them with laminate floors. (we have 5 dogs, 5 cats)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  7. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I use straight Borax and that works well for us.

8. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    I borrowed my step mother's vacuum cleaner and just vacuumed every day for a week. It got all of them, and the eggs that hatched. Then gave her the vacuum back. She couldn't figure out how she got fleas. Guess I forgot to tell her what I did, and to change the bag. My bad.[​IMG]

9. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Quote:[​IMG] sheesh do you hate your Step Mom or what? [​IMG]

10. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I use DE in my coops, but I have to wear a mask when spreading it, and when cleaning coops. The dust really irritates my throat and lungs. I'd not use it in the house for that reason only. I'm not sure how effective it would be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by