Anybody who has Ameraucanas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say the same thing for anyone who is selling any type of animal, if you can't spell the breed, you shouldn't be selling/raising them.

Last edited:
I have 6 true blue Ameraucanas. 2 blues and 4 wheaten/blue wheaten. Can't wait for these 2 week old chicks to mature. Out of my 12 hatchlings, my Ameraucanas are the largest. They are just growing SO FAST... two of them seem to grow more feathers every day.

Quote:
The reason is because so many hatcheries, feedstores, innocent private sellers, and unscrupulous EE Sellers use the terms "Americana" and various other misspellings of Ameraucana.

So, myself, Jean, and others do all we can to educate the public as to the difference.

God Bless,

Quote:
I noticed that too hmmm must just be an ameraucana thing?!? I have a black that's almost fully wing feathered-- I just vent sexed him and im almost positive it's a roo now (like I had hoped). And I'm waiting on Cree Farms ameraucanas (BBS) to hatch here next week!
wee.gif
The black cockerel may carry lav
big_smile.png

Quote:
The reason is because so many hatcheries, feedstores, innocent private sellers, and unscrupulous EE Sellers use the terms "Americana" and various other misspellings of Ameraucana.

So, myself, Jean, and others do all we can to educate the public as to the difference.

God Bless,

I think theres more confusion with newbies on IDing them against EEs than there is their spelling but that's just me
idunno.gif
I"m starting to learn the differences but i was COMPLETLY confused at first and had to learn all on my own basically...no sites have been great enough to make it "OOOHH OKAY!" worthy.

Quote:

God Bless,

Ameraucana, americana, americauna..... makes no difference to me. I just dont agree with people, saying if you cant spell it you shouldnt raise it and/or sale them. Im sure everybody has misspelled something they own at one time or another.
wink.png
Not everyone one is a perfect speller regardless of the knowledge they have about something. I for one spell things the way they sound if i dont know the correct spelling.
smile.png
With that being said, you couldnt give me an americana(sp)?
wink.png
unless it comes with a bag of feed and $20. Just not my cup of tea.
lol.png
(I will admit before everyone gets mad. I have seen some pretty Ameraucanas)

Quote:

God Bless,

Ameraucana, americana, americauna..... makes no difference to me. I just dont agree with people, saying if you cant spell it you shouldnt raise it and/or sale them. Im sure everybody has misspelled something they own at one time or another.
wink.png
Not everyone one is a perfect speller regardless of the knowledge they have about something. I for one spell things the way they sound if i dont know the correct spelling.
smile.png
With that being said, you couldnt give me an americana(sp)?
wink.png
unless it comes with a bag of feed and $20. Just not my cup of tea.
lol.png
(I will admit before everyone gets mad. I have seen some pretty Ameraucanas)

I understand that this most likely isn't much the concern of many who are not involved with breeding or promoting a particular breed. But on the flip side of things, I am breeder, one who works hard at improving breed characteristics within my birds. And it is very heart wrenching and discouraging to have to deal with so much misleading information due to the hatcheries false advertisments of Easter Eggers represented as Araucana or Ameruacana.
Much the same for all other Araucana breeders and Ameruacana breeders alike, to have to deal with so much misleading information to the public done by the hatcheries. A lot of hard work goes into keeping and improving the Aruacana and Ameruacana breeds. As a breeder it is a slap in my face that hatcheries misinform the public by promoting Easter Eggers of mixed ancestry as being Aruacana or Ameruacana for the almighty $$$.
barnie.gif
As an Ameruacana breeder, I try to always educate folks on the differences between hatchery type Easter Eggers and the two "true" breeds that lay the blue/green eggs......Aruacana and Ameruacana. But it seems for every step forward there are hundreds of steps backwards due to the hatcheries false advertisments of Easter Eggers as Ameruacana or Aruacana. I BLAME the hatcheries with misleading the public for the almighty $ and it is a never ending cycle. The only way to purchase "true" Araucana or "true" Ameraucana stock is through breeders. ALL HATCHERIES sell Easter Eggers! There is nothing wrong with Easter Eggers! They are good layers and come in all sorts of colors. One just has to take them for what they are.....a bird of mix'd ancestry mixed with other poultry breeds. They are not a true "breed" of chicken due to their mix'd ancestry and because of thier mix'd ancestry they do not breed true. Easter Eggers are not Araucana, nor Ameruacana. There is no such a breed as Americana, Ameriucana, Americuana, or any other choice spelling name variation that a hatchery might use in advertisment.
smile.png

Last edited:
Well said, Sooner.
I personally have taken it upon myself to try and make sure that people on the BYC are not selling EE's as Ameraucanas or Aucanas ( unknowingly or otherwise). Some people get quite miffed about it, even tho I am always polite. I have even had people tell me that they don't care what info you give them, they bought "americanas" and that's what they are selling them as.
To me this is just dishonest.

first i am dyslexic.. so i spell almost everything wrong..

before i found this place BYC i did not know the whole thing about the "easter eggers"... last year i bought some from IDEAL HATCHERY and i was so upset and i did not know why my "ameracaunas" did not have poofy cheeks....????
uugghh.. i am now finally selling off my last few EEs.. and looking into getting some REAL amer-things (hahahah)

some of the things that bother me about selling of animals
they are......
a filly... NOT a philly or phillie
a shihtzu not a poop-sue or poop-zoo or even a nonsense
a lhasa apso NOT a lapsoapo or a lapsa- asspo

I ordered 2 ameraucans from Meyers Hatchery in Ohio but from what i have been reading here the pass week (im a newbie) I will be getting 2 EE's. The difference between the ameraucanas and the EE's is that the ameraucanas have to be one of the 6 colors that have been chosen to be considered an ameraucana. Right? Oh and some people have taken their ameraucana and bred it to one of their backyard mix breed and are still calling it an an ameraucana. Right or Wrong? I also have 2 shih tzu's. I wil try to post their pictures. That is max and mia, arent they cute. My chicks will be coming from Meyers on the 10th. I cant wait, i will post some pics.

23509_max_mia.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom