1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone been able to STOP a dog from digging????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gg706, Feb 8, 2013.

1. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    We have a 10 month old dog.....she has been with us about 5 months. No matter what I do I can not stop her from digging holes. I have caught her several times and disciplined her, but she won't stop. My front yard looks horrible and my patience is wearing thin. When I catch her in the act she slinks down , so I feel she knows it is wrong...but does it anyway. Has anyone had any luck stopping this kind of behavior?

2. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    She does not know it's wrong. Dogs LOVE to dig. She knows YOU ARE ANGRY. 2 suggestions:

Make her a digging pit, a sand box, and put some cool things in there for her to find. Encourage her to dig here.

Next, fill the holes she digs elsewhere with her feces and cover them over lightly.

2 people like this.
  3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Our dogs stopped digging when we moved to Wyoming, well almost completely - our lab still dug a hole next to the dog house to have a shady coll place to sleep. Dry, hard, rocky soil seemed to stop them pretty well. [​IMG]

Is she digging because of boredom? trying to catch that darn gopher? looking for a cool place to lay?
    If you can figure out why she is digging, maybe you can find a way to redirect the energy or at least the location of the holes to a more suitable location.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with Wyo, you need to figure out why she's digging. She's a puppy and needs LOTS of attention. She has no way to entertain herself when left alone, so she can chew or she can dig. Oh, or bark! that's always a popular one with the neighbors. If you have to leave her alone during the day sounds like you need to confine her where she can't dig, or where it's okay to dig.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Tired dogs are happy dogs. Make sure she is getting enough exercise.

6. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    X2 excellent advice!

7. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Make sure she gets plenty of mental stimulation, she needs exercise obviously but just don't over do it as she is only 10 mths, brainwork will tire her more than running around as well [​IMG]

8. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I agree with Redyre on this. The dog is reacting to you being angry - but does not understand why you are angry.

My Pap LOVES to dig!!! He is almost 6 mos old....and has a lot of energy :) We chose to give him an area where it's okay to dig. It took about a week for him to totally get it, but now - he only digs there!

We made a 4'x4' area with landscaping timbers and filled it with children's play sand - all for less than $50!

We buried hard dog biscuits, squeaky toys, carrots (which he loves!)....he's happy and I'm happy.

I'll see if I can get pics tonight....

9. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    She shouldn't be too bored, we have 2 dogs and they play together. I am also home all day. I think she is digging to find stuff in the soil...her nose is always covered in dirt like she is rooting around in the hole. I will plan to work her some more and see if it helps. I do have an area with sand in it that my chickens dig around in I wouldn't mind if she dug there....she isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer...if you know what I mean...so I hope she could get that she can dig here and not anywhere else. Thank You all for the advice.

10. lori stetson

lori stetson Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Bedford, VA
    Either give her a real digging box to play in or use her talents to your advantage and train her to do something useful on command- hunting moles, preparing soil for you to plant, etc. She might make a great search and rescue partner. Any of these will help her to direct her efforts to situations involving praise and reward. If she does start something without command drop a moth balls are an excellent

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by