Anyone bought chicks from My Pet Chicken?

I believe their office is in Connecticut, they ship out of Ohio and many of their phone operators work from their home. They are now offering more breeds than Meyers, especially with their hatching eggs.

You are right about where they ship from as being important as far a faster travel, although sometimes the post office just stinks at delivering chicks from any hatchery in a decent amount of time. It's very important that people wait until chicks can safely travel in the correct outside temperatures. I personally wait until the end of May so my chicks are comfortable.

I am biased though because I have had nothing but great service from them.

We ordered from MPC last spring and went in on order with friend to meet minimum. We ended up ordering 12 chicks, 5 for them and 7 for us. When the order came, all chicks were healthy and alive, but instead of 12 we only received 11. I called customer support and though it was their error when packing, I would have to buy more chicks to get the one I did not receive and so all they could do was give us refund for the one missing. That put a damper on my satisfaction with them. We have not used them again since then, but I think my husband is more forgiving and might try them again if he wants chicks again. I am more into ducklings, and for those you have to go elsewhere.

I've ordered lots of chicks from mpc and almost always had the best experience. I got a mix of different egg layers. Ordered all pullets. They came healthy and lively. All grew to be females. No error on sexing. 2nd batch we're polish bantam females. Again came right on time lively and healthy. All grew to be female. Also no sexing errors. Last I purchased 9 silkies chicks. All female. This shipment came a day late. 4 died rigjt away and the rest had paste up for a long time. They chicks always seemed a little weak and their growth was stunted. Lost the rest to illness around 5 months or so.. I did recieve 1 rooster out of the ones I got. I was very disappointed. Silkies are a temperamental breed though and I think the shipping was just to hard on them. Over-all I would purchase through them again. I would never buy silkies from them again though. I'm located in California.

Last edited:
Please read this before purchasing, as I want you to make an informative decission.
I've purched from My Pet Chicken for years. I believe in giving any business, person, or situation the benifit of the doubt. Unfortunately doubt out weighs any benefit at this point. Let me begin with why I have serious documented doubts-
Many of my deliveries ended up with fatalities due to improper shipping. From failure to provide heat packets, to strangulation from excelsior packaging, to either too little packaging or too much. All scenarios created ultimate percentage fatality. When I say "ultimate" it's because if they didnt arrive dead you may spend a day or longer tending to a chick or chicks that are weak, failing to thrive. Currently I have one lil newborn in isolation who arrived with a damaged leg. She has the will to live, wants to eat and drink but can only hop on one leg. For her safety I've had to isolate her. She peeps for her flock but I'm torn as to what to do for she will sustain further injury with the flock, but her loneliness creates another form of pain. Note* Three other chicks died within a 48 hr time frame after arrival.
My recent delivery will be my last. I only accepted this because it was an "oops"
re-shipment to make-up for the fact that last year the company sent prodomenatly all roosters. Yep, after so called vent sexing, the company concluded and or speculated that someone on their end grabbed from the wrong bin and packaged roos instead of pullets. Months of one-on-one hand raising, compiled feed costs, new coop construction only to end up with roos and a massive cash/emotional loss that no re-ship could ever replace.
So now your thinking, ok....it happens, but guess what else happens. Scissor beaks that had to be culled due to severity ( multiple cases from multiple breeds), over frizzle for which I had to have euthanized by an avian vet, deformed bodies, eyes, heads. Black breeds that grow up with white feathering, roosters with sprigs ( multiple breeds) and French Marans with no feathering on the legs. A bird with scoliosis, how about a muffles real Americaunna, not a knock off Easter Egger- ( please note I love my Easter Eggers.
A silkie with a silver spiked comb ( not walnut) and deformed foot, I could go on but I think you have a good idea.
The worst of all is the slow deaths of the newborn chicks. Trying to play mirical worker is exhausting and ultimately heartbreaking. I've been raising birds for years so I understand, but they shouldn't ship birds that have obvious deformities, and or weakness just to satisfy an order. The condition of the chicks upon arrival speak volumes as some simply were not good from the get go.
Take your chance if you wish, the people are so kind that you're going to get off the phone thinking they're your best friend and they have your best interest at heart. Just remember that once that box arrives with living creatures peeping to the person for whom will be their "mama or papa" for the next several months then years, nothing or no-one else matters. They're not refundable, My Pet Chicken wont come and chicken sit. Those lil babies need you!
My Pet Chicken won't be by your side as you go through the possible challenges that await you. They will take your call, listen to you cry, and try to ease your pain. And thats when the re-ship, but now order more because there's a minimum safety requirement to ship, spend alittle more cycle starts all over again. Stop the cycle!
Though I do have have some wonderful birds from this company Im asking this-
Try your local feed store, seriously. Your odds are pretty good, and there's no risky shipping on your end. Or better yet, try finding a local farmer, or breeder that has invested not only money, but time, care, and yes tears ( happy and sad) into the raising of their precious flock.
Thank you!
Remember, every order and every persons experience is as unique as the chicken that comes from it.

has anyone bought chicks from MyPetChicken before? they're the only hatchery I found that has all the breeds I'm looking for, here's a list; dominique, ancona, speckeled sussex, golden laced wyandotte, silver spangled hamburg. (all hens)
We have ordered from Meyer several times and have always been very pleased with both the birds and the customer service received. Last fall I ordered 25 of the Brown Layer Assortment and ended up with some Dominiques and Gold/Silver Laced Wyandottes. While the Doms I received aren't as flashy as my heritage birds, they're still very nice and all have exceptional dispositions. I did end up with 1 "oops" cockerel, but it was a happy accident as he's now one of my favorites. This is Domino not so patiently awaiting his treat.

I apologize for any spelling errors on my last post. As for my blue Americaunna pullet from MPC she is muffless. This breed is suppose to have muffs. Darn spell check, got to love it or hate it. Be aware that the feed store Americaunna is most likely an Easter Egger, not a genuine purebred. If this isn't an issue for you then I encourage the feed store purchase for their eggs will be a pretty blue-green.
Speaking of which someone wanted to know about the Super Blue from MPC. I purchased a few of these expensive small mutts. Save your money and buy Easter Eggers. Now I do own the favacaunnas. They are costly mutts, but I "love" their personality. Frankly I don't care for the word mutt, cross breed (x-breed) sounds better.
What I want people to realize is that a refund from MPC is the cost of the bird but not the additional fee for vent sexing. That cost will fall on you if I recall correctly. So if the bird was $4.00 with the vent sexing cost being $10.00 then your bird is now $14.00. The only refund you will get is the $4.00. Plus you don't get credit for shipping which can run very high. My numbers are just hypothetical amounts for comment reasons. If I'm mistaken in any way I stand corrected.
Every shipment I've received from them over the years has had at least one oops roo. Last year over 80% were roosters, sick, or deformed. Hence this springs reship order which had fatalities (within 48 hours) injured chick, and improper bird amount. I was to receive 17 and there was only 16. The breed I really wanted didn't survive and was the one that wasn't included. Plus they got the breeds wrong. I sent them a message asking if they could ever get an order correct? Sadly when the chicks are weak, struggling etc I have to put them down. I cry every-time...every darn time! I know this process has its flaws but it never gets easier. It can come with with dramatic issues that aren't for the faint of heart. Never have young children around when opening the box, however, when they are healthy its such a blessing.
Also MPC use the excuse that vaccination for Mereks on bantams is dangerous and that's why they don't do it. That's not true, as I had all my bantams vaccinated by my vet who then taught me how. Please consult a vet or reliable person before attempting this.
From those I've spoken to, its a cost issue as other hatcheries offer bantam vaccines.
To date I own over 30 roosters. Since all my birds are hand raised they become part of the family, and hard to part with. However, at some point rehoming will be mandatory. My husband has fallen in love with them and doesn't like the idea of rehoming. He's a keeper :)
I love my birds, I've always been respectful to the process and to those I've dealt with. I've never raised my voice, yelled or caused waves with those at MPC. But at some point enough is enough and anyone considering on using them should be better informed. Hopefully my record with them helps others to make a more informed decision.
I do need to state that I've never ordered from any other hatchery or source. MPC has been my sole supplier, but I'm open to hearing about other hatchery experiences.

Strange that you and I have had such different experiences. I have never had an incorrectly sexed bird from them, and I have gotten many, both bantam and standard.

Occasionally some don't make it but usually most do. I have tried many breeds. Though they aren't show quality they are all nice looking birds that produce well. I do wait until later in the spring season to get my chicks so the weather shouldn't be a factor, and they usually arrive all alive and kicking.

Back
Top Bottom