Anyone Camping this summer?

We've had many memorable trips, but one of the best was to the campground at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park. It was really reasonable, less than $25 for a full service site (7 years ago - current rate $30) and is only a 1/2 mile from the rim. There was a shuttle stop right at the campground and a grocery store nearby.

We were there over the Easter break along with many other families. The families in our area of the campground would gather in the evenings around a single campfire while all the kids played. One night we were sitting around the campfire when we ran out of marshmallows. No problem! We just broke into our Easter stashes of Peeps. They make AMAZING toasted marshmallows!
lol.png
The kids thought that was the funniest thing and still laugh about it 7 years later.

I agree with BoJo - KOAs are a lot of fun. Some of them have special events, like outside family movies and ice-cream socials.

I've been a "camper" since I was about 8 and Daddy threw a cap onto the back of his old dodge. Won't tell how many years that been, lol. My folks have moved up over the years from the cap, to a Scamper camper, Little Hobo (loved that thing!) and a few others. Now they are up to a 28ft travel trailer!!! Forget camping, that's a house on wheels!!

Sooooooo many memories from thoses days. I have been all over the east coast and Canada. I was at Disney the week it opened!! We stayed at Jellystone Campground when there was still a swamp way on the backside and orange groves all the way around it! I think there were maybe 150 sites. Or Cherrystone on the eastern shore of VA. We still go there every year for a week. All 3 generations of us!!!

Campers are a different breed of people. Always willing to help someone out. Always welcome someone join their campfire.

Me? I've gone in the opposite direction. My entire camp fits into a 2lb sack that I can carry on my back and weighs less than 20lbs, lol. The dog carrys her own stuff!!

If you're camping in bear country make sure you lock up your food supplies. My wife and kids camp every summer, usually in New Hampshire. When we checked into a site 2 summers ago we were warned of the chance of black bears roaming the camp area. We heeded the warning, locking our food supplies in our car at night. Unfortunately other campers in the area did not heed the warning. Their sites paid the price of destoyed coolers, loss of all food, broken gear etc..not to mention the middle of the night encounter.

While no one was hurt, it did ruin the experience for a few careless campers.

Done right, camping is one of the greatest family activities there is.

We are signing the contract on the purchase of our future farm today, 5.4 acres!!! We plan to do some camping there while we do some clean up and get ready for our home to be built this summer. Nothing like camping on your own homestead, huh?
gig.gif

Baymen Moe brings up an important point. This is important if you're considering a pop-up tent trailer. If you plan on camping in bear country, be aware that any soft sided trailer needs to be treated exactly the same way as a tent. Secure your food. One of our trips was to the Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park (both wonderful!). The campground we stayed in, between the two parks, was visited by bears quite often and someone with a pop-up trailer learned the hard way that just because it tows, it doesn't make it bear proof.

Last edited:
This has been very informative. I have been looking for a small camper to pull behind my 4runner. My parents have a motorhome and they love it! In fact, they are in Key West right now.

I wouldn't store my food in the car either. Bears have been known to bust open doors and windows to get to your food. It's not just what you see on tv. I have a Urasack "Bear Bag" to store my food in when I am backpacking. When we are car camping we use a "Bear Vault" and sling it from a tree.

Remember not just your food but toothpaste and anything that smells sweet will attract them.

I've also heeded the warning of a ranger friend I had in AZ. Do not go into "Bear Country" during the time of your monthly cycle. Better safe than sorry

Last edited:
Quote:
ep.gif
You gotta be kidding me?????!!!! All I know whenever we go camping (either civilian or Civil War reenactments), I usually get pet dogs sniffing at my crotch (rude dogs!) whenever I am in cycle or not!

I thought most animals would just pee if you do pee out in the woods but never harm you.

if you consider "camping" a RV with a hot shower, fridge and freezer, actual beds, a/c or heat if needed and screens in the windows to keep the bugs out. Then yes. We are going camping this summer.
wink.png

well we will be if my mom puts the RV on the road this year. which she might. Her dh is getting alot stronger. Been nearly 3 years since his stroke now. So she might actually be up to going on the road to the Cape this year.

Would be nice. Heck even if she doesnt want to use it. I will help pay the insurance and such and take it out. ROAD TRIP!!!!

just 1 thing. do not go on the bike trails on foot just before dark. they are not short and they are not flat. i have personal experience of this! you will have tons of scratches on your legs and you will wonder for hours!

Back
Top Bottom