Anyone care to guess the sex of my american buff geese?

MsDiz

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2023
Hi all! Im a lady veteran from tennessee finally living my lifelong dream of a house of my own with a little land and a flock of feathered friends to love and spoil.

These are my two highly entertaining american buff goslings. Gus is the one with the brighter orange bill contemplating eating my workboot with me still in it. Gus stands a bit taller than Olive, and Gus is about 6-7 months old. Olive is my little socal butterfly at age 3-4 months.

Gus likes to get low with his neck stretched out and hiss at my dog (who has never made a move to do anything more than sniff at them and often lounges in the grass with them) like the cobra-chicken he is while Olive prefers to move away.

Im going to include a video clip of my pair out for a waddle with me and I would love to hear some speculation from other more experienced american buff parents on what sex they might be!

20230912_161230.jpg
20230827_150154.jpg

Yes, they do! Both can get loud and excited. For their soft conversational honks, olive is lower pitched, but Olive is also 3 months younger than Gus.
My female buff are very talkative. They can get loud, but they never make an actual honk sound. That's only something the males do. Usually when excited. I have one young male and I could tell it was a male by his longer neck, thinner body, and he will do that honking sound occasionally.

My female buff are very talkative. They can get loud, but they never make an actual honk sound. That's only something the males do. Usually when excited. I have one young male and I could tell it was a male by his longer neck, thinner body, and he will do that honking sound occasionally.
Oh gosh I hope I dont have a pair of rowdy gander on my hands! 🤣

I know I have heard Gus make a loud shrill honk but now that I think about it, im not so sure Olive has. Olive does soft low whispery grunt type sounds primarily. Both are happy to chatter away with me as they supervise my yardwork

Back
Top Bottom