Anyone create their own scratch feed?

B40chick

Songster
May 23, 2020
Southwest Georgia, USA
I guess I have picky girls. They don't seem to care for corn and some other things in scratch feed. A lot gets left behind. Of course, I am feeding more wild birds. Does anyone mix their own? I can't make it too protein heavy because I have some hybrid birds. What do you mix, and where do you get it?

I guess I have picky girls. They don't seem to care for corn and some other things in scratch feed. A lot gets left behind. Of course, I am feeding more wild birds. Does anyone mix their own? I can't make it too protein heavy because I have some hybrid birds. What do you mix, and where do you get it?
Mine don't like the corn either.

I can't make it too protein heavy because I have some hybrid birds.
High egg production hybrids do better with a higher Protein than most Layers feed.
When I switched from 18% Protein feed to a 16% layers feed with my hybrids (Golden Comets) feather picking started.

As far as mixing your own Scratch. Try substituting a no corn bird seed. They have a good variety at TSC.
Some with nuts and fruit. GC

High egg production hybrids do better with a higher Protein than most Layers feed.
When I switched from 18% Protein feed to a 16% layers feed with my hybrids (Golden Comets) feather picking started.

As far as mixing your own Scratch. Try substituting a no corn bird seed. They have a good variety at TSC.
Some with nuts and fruit. GC
I have Bovan Browns. Another poster on this site told me egg laying operations use 16%, and feeding 18% can cause problems. Hmmmm

I used to feed my chickens pigeon feed as scratch. It was all grains. Peas and whatnot in there. They loved it. I also liked to add black oil sunflower seed.

I have Bovan Browns. Another poster on this site told me egg laying operations use 16%, and feeding 18% can cause problems. Hmmmm
16% is fine until you start giving low Protein treats like Scratch or veggies. I gave my Golden Comets Scratch daily without a problem when on an 18% feed. The Feather Picking started when I switched to a 16% layers feed. GC

They seem to be doing fine. They like yogurt. I only give that occasionally. I have free choice oyster shells. They free range, so they probably get bugs. So I will hunt for a different, no corn scratch, and not worry so much about some protein

They seem to be doing fine. They like yogurt. I only give that occasionally. I have free choice oyster shells. They free range, so they probably get bugs. So I will hunt for a different, no corn scratch, and not worry so much about some protein
I'd recommend not buying any scratch.

Feeding them just the layer feed is great...it's a complete and balanced feed.

Your taking away from a balanced diet by feed scratch daily...and that is much more likely to cause problems with your type of bird a lot faster that if they just ate a balanced diet.

I love to get an old soda water bottle, drill large holes in the bottom, hang it up and fill it with oats, feed, wheat, sunflower seeds and a little bit of sultanas. Pretty quickly they learn to peck it and small amounts of the food will fall through… It’s very cute to watch.

Just make sure you never feed them dried peas or beans, they can be deadly. Also if you notice that they aren’t eating enough feed and are just having treats, completely stop giving them treats until they get used to their feed.

Back
Top Bottom