Anyone Dealing with an OLD Dog - It Dosen't Look Good, Anytime Now

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
Penelope is getting OLD really fast
sad.png
rotten teeth, bad (really bad) smelly mouth.
sickbyc.gif
Now she forgets to go to the door and pees where she's standing.
hmm.png
I have wee wee pads throughout the house. I love her, but.........................

update:

Oh my gosh......
hit.gif
I'm a sniffling mess right now My baby's not going to be here long......just got through the holidays and she hasn't eaten for a few days now- I've tried everything to give her some nutrition.

Today - now she's not drinking, how long can she last like this?? I'm not stressing her out by bringing her to the vet to put her down. (bad past experience) If he could come here and do it, I'd be more for it. I think she should be home seeing us with her and keeping her comfortable. BUT.............. the distant look in her eyes and she's practically a skeleton. ** I'm I being cruel????????** She doesn't seem to be suffering at all, just dreamy like and she'll get up and wander a little, then back to the blanket.
hit.gif
She doesn't want anything!! What could I possibly do for her at this point??
hit.gif
I feel so helpless..!!

Last edited:
Aww poor Penelope
hugs.gif

Dogs like her are blessed with patient owners like yourself.
My dog, Ace is 8 this year. He's a black lab who has been blessed with healthy hips (so far). I'm afraid of the day I come home from work and find him limping or having potty accidents.
Bless you for loving Penelope
love.gif

Thank you Tiny
big_smile.png
She's 16 yrs old now. But lately, everyday - I see her deteriorate more & more. Sad, but she doesn't seem to be in any kind of pain. I have to line up some bricks on the back step - just this morning she couldn't do that little jump up. It's that old doggie smell that's getting to me. You know she was in the room 5 min ago *whewie* ugh

Been there, done that... It is so sad to see them fade. Imagine when your Great Dane, can't make it outside. The joy of a puppy is tempered by the sadness you feel for your older dog,and ultimately losing them. It is part of the cycle of life- but it is not easy. I used to say I was running a nursing home for old dogs- I had three that grew old together. Kisses to Penelope.

I wonder if she may also just not be aware of her surroundings?
I6 is a good ripe age for a dog. Doggie dementia may make her do things that she NEVER would have done in her youth.
If her breath is really bad, she may have an abscess, a quick vet trip might help determine if she needs some antibiotics. That may help all of the other issues too.

Good luck

My pomeranian, Cosmo, was about 8 or 9 this year....Not really old, but he had so many health problems, I had to put him down. Bad knees on three legs, if he jumped wrong, his back went out of whack and sometimes he would just lay around and not move much. Then his trachea would collapse and he would honk/cough.....He also got really barky and mean and was beginning to bite people. It was terrible. We loved that bossy, obnoctious mean little pooch......He could be so charming and he really knew what you were saying when you talked to him........I'll love him forever......

Took a few months to be able to talk about him without tears....Even my hubby cried and he's this big strapping guy.......

But we're OK now!

It may be time to think about quality of life for pee nellopee....
I know that it is so hard, but a vet will have A LOT of respect for the person who brings a pet in for eutho, and stands by her side for the deed.....
Believe me, I know how hard it is, I have had to take a dog in for a dignified end and I have cried when they somehow ended their life on their own...

May god go with you and your dog on life's journey.....

Peace. Wish there was a Peace Sign to throw at you .............

Thank you everyone. I guess I'm thinking it won't be long now.
sad.png

3goodeggs - Yes, I see her looking around in a daze, believe me when she pees or I see a puddle, I just clean it up and take her out for a minute....no harsh words, I know she can't help it.(she can't hear me anyway) sigh I know her teeth are bad, if I take her to the vet they'll suggest euth, I don't know if we're ready for that yet.
sad.png

chicmom - Penelope is a Pom too. I'm sorry about your Cosmo.....(great name!)

Trailchick - I certainly know about having a pet put down.....I had to do that to 2 of my old cats. I don't like it, and I'm afraid it's up to me again.

Maybe that's why I'm asking about this, I know that day it coming soon.

Thanks Lesa
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom