1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone drink Oat Straw Tea?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by NancyDz, Nov 2, 2009.

1. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I bought some organic oat straw from someone at the Farmer's market Saturday and made the infusion and drank it for the first time yesterday.
    I have to say I slept better last night than I have in weeks , even months! Not sure if the tea was why or if I finally just caught up on some sleep.

The paper that came with it says that it supposedly:

Builds strong bones and teeth; rich in calcium ( which since I have graves, is getting depleted so I thought this would be good for me)
    Stabilizes blood sugar levels
    Relieves depression and chaos , nourishes pancreas, liver and adrenals.
    Nourishes strong nerves
    Reduces frequency and duration of headaches ( get them a lot!)
    *Maintains restful sleep patterns
    Eases bladder spasms , incontinence and dryness - supposedly really good for menopause.. I am not experiencing that yet but I'm sure it will come in the next 10-15 years for me hehehe

Here's some info on Oat straw tea I found on the internet too:

http://www.brighthub.com/health/alternative-medicine/articles/42171.aspx

The info I got said I had to place the contents ( about a handful of straw) into a gallon pot of water , bring to a strong boil , then simmer for 4 Hours! You can drink hot or at room temp.
    The info I'm finding on the net is just make it by the glass and let steep for 5 minutes.... so I dont know what is better, the woman i bought it from said it needs the hours to make a
    good infusion and draw everything out of the straw.

Anyone else use it , have you noticed benefits?

Nancy

2. RasMama

RasMama Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    I drank it when I was pregnant, on the recommendation of my midwife. I can't remember exactly why she said I should, but I'm sure it's along the lines of all the benefits you posted. I did it as a cold infusion, just plain water & let the straw steep overnight. It worked well when combined with other teas (like pregnancy tea, at the time [​IMG]) to give a better flavor. I might have to look around for some more, I've been getting massive headaches lately and anything that could help would be worth a shot!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    never heard of if before... cut my ears off!

4. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Quote:ditto [​IMG]

5. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Sure have......I just love herbal teas, especially Oat straw and red raspberry leaf tea. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by