Anyone Else Affected by this Insane Weather

duck&chickencrazy

Songster
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Indiana
So far this winter it has gotten to be in the - 's and it has affected my birds badley. And so far i have lost 2 birds. I lost my RIR rooster and a RIR hen. I was just wondering if anyone else was having bad luck with this stinking weather. The coldest it has been is -15 to -20. i have a heat lamp in my coop to try and make it warmer and it does but i guess it was still to cold.

Fresh Eggs!!!!
th.gif
You are hereby banned from this board until Spring!!
gig.gif

My birds were fine until we hit -35 for three days in a row. I brought the silkies in the house overnight and one roo and hen who were having trouble. The rest of them stayed out there with a heat lamp and did okay. Haven't lost any yet...but it's not over yet:>)

I lost two BR packing peanuts one roo and one pullet. The cold did not directly get them, they piled on top of each other in their box to keep warm. The two on the bottom suffocated apparently. My fault I should have checked them more often.

he.gif

YES..... My poor birds hate me.... I have frostbite going on ... Stupid birds hatched chicks late and now the babies are suffering . I have one White Phoenix hen with a frozen foot Im trying to save what I can of it but it isnt looking good she may end up a peg legged hen "sigh" My basement is full as of now.... NO more indoor room for the birds. I need a warm snap "please"

We had -17 on Thursday and -8 Friday, not to mention the wind chill, I went and checked on the chooks, made sure they had fresh warm water looks like a couple of the marans had some frostbite on their combs but my cold hearty buckeyes, the were active and trying to get out of the coop! I actually had to go and pickup a couple and put them back in! Crazy birds!
The colder it gets the more I love my buckeyes! Go Bucks!!

I'm with ya there BuckeyeDave. -17 and the buckeyes wanted outside! I didn't let them out because I DIDN'T WANT TO GO OUT TO WATCHOVER THEM...
wink.png
I had a couple strand themselves in a drift. It is almost 20 degrees today so they are going out. Amazing no frostbite anywhere.

-sub-

Back
Top Bottom