Anyone else always wish they'd get an accidental male?

froggyphore

Songster
Sep 20, 2019
I've had 5 batches of chicks since I started keeping chickens. First two were 6 chicks, third was 9, then 4 impulse buys, and my current group i ordered online is 34. I've always wanted a roo but until now only got chicks from my feed store where they were all sexed females. Every time I would get excited thinking one was a roo and they were always pullets. I always found it ironic to come on here and see how many people who didn't want any males ended up with them.

This year I actually ordered some males and unsexed. Hopefully they don't all turn out to be female :p

Your SO lucky! I get males ALL THE TIME. If you wanted a roo, theres always plenty on local FB groups, and Craigslist that need good homes. Something to consider.
I had considered looking for one, but I was always super paranoid about biosecurity haha. Now that I have atleast three males I think I've hit my limit, but the sweet handsome roos posted in my state thread are still very tempting. :)

I had considered looking for one, but I was always super paranoid about biosecurity haha. Now that I have atleast three males I think I've hit my limit, but the sweet handsome roos posted in my state thread are still very tempting. :)
Definitely! I agree with that. Not sure where your located, but I always have extra roo's. A friend of mine is starting a breeding business, she's knee deep in roo's right now. :p
She's in Wa. Very biosecure if your ever in that area. ;):p

I picked one of my Onyx chicks this year in hopes of getting an Oops male. Nope, Trois is a lovely female
20220514_113200.jpg

I've had 5 batches of chicks since I started keeping chickens. First two were 6 chicks, third was 9, then 4 impulse buys, and my current group i ordered online is 34. I've always wanted a roo but until now only got chicks from my feed store where they were all sexed females. Every time I would get excited thinking one was a roo and they were always pullets. I always found it ironic to come on here and see how many people who didn't want any males ended up with them.

This year I actually ordered some males and unsexed. Hopefully they don't all turn out to be female :p
I sure do now. Today, my only rooster I discovered dead on the ground among his flock of 18 hens. I noticed this morning that he didn't look well with droopy wings and tail and his mouth open. I didn't know what it could be or what to do but thought he might pull through. I did not see any signs of bird flu: swollen head or comb and he did not have blackened wattles or discharges of any kind. Perhaps stress as the irrigation lines came online yesterday, who knows? A very sad day.

Definitely! I agree with that. Not sure where your located, but I always have extra roo's. A friend of mine is starting a breeding business, she's knee deep in roo's right now. :p
She's in Wa. Very biosecure if your ever in that area. ;):p
Bit far afield from WA for now unfortunately, but I'll still keep you two in mind. :thumbsup

Every time I hatch I get at least one rooster.

I have a few in the freezer now so no I wish there was an easy way to kick those eggs early instead of wasting more time on them.
Sexing in the egg would be great. Maybe we'll be able to one day :eek:

I sure do now. Today, my only rooster I discovered dead on the ground among his flock of 18 hens. I noticed this morning that he didn't look well with droopy wings and tail and his mouth open. I didn't know what it could be or what to do but thought he might pull through. I did not see any signs of bird flu: swollen head or comb and he did not have blackened wattles or discharges of any kind. Perhaps stress as the irrigation lines came online yesterday, who knows? A very sad day.
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that :( Doesn't sound like the flu to me either. :fl Sometimes chickens just drop dead, it really sucks...

Back
Top Bottom