1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anyone else check there chickens feet all the time to deflect problems

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by karlamaria, Aug 19, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    we line our girls up, look at there feet, there vent and all around there bodies. we wash there little feet in case there is a problem and its hidden by dirt or poop. we have avoided many a problem doing this since there can be trapped pebbles under the poop and can cause bumble foot. I found one of my chickens had a pebble under both feet stuck on, by keeping a check on my girls only insures there feet are in good shape. I know sounds picky, but I want to avoid any problems that can occur and nip them in the bud before things happen. now to get them to brush there teeth:lau

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I check mine every time I pick one of them up (which is quite often) never had a foot problem as of yet, but always looking out for any just in case. I'd rather catch it early so I can deal with it before it gets bad

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:we pick ours up to constantly, and checking, but once a week we take a pan of water out and sit on the lawn and wash there feet LOL, I like you want to catch anything fast and not wait until the bird is in pain or sick.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I think my birds are fine its all sand where I live.

5. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

I figure if you are going through the trouble or cathing them and putting them through the stress of being handled when they don't want too......
    Check under each wing with a little puff of air, vent check same way. feet check. No washing, I leave that to them.

[​IMG]

6. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Every day I give snacks in the run. I have a chair and while they are eating I check them all over visually, feet, butts, eyes, crown, whatever. If I see anything that needs attention I take care of it. It takes a bit more time but doesn't disturb them physically and I get a bit of quiet time.

7. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Well I don’t usually pick them up, I just watch them very closely a lot to look to see if anything is amiss but about once every few mouths I do look at the bottom of each foot and under their wings to check that they still have clean smooth skin (my dad always marvels at how my chickens have such nice skin lol ) I also look at their fuzzy butts to make sure every thing is good done there, and check their eyes, nose, and mouth to make sure every thing is A-Okay

8. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    I spend time with my "girls" daily sometimes several times. Ad I pick each one up and check each one out head to foot looking her over and making sure nothing is wrong...it only takes a few minutes and they get use to being handled. I have handled them each since one day old and they don't mind. I can roll them on their backs, turn them upside down and everything...LOL I feel it's better to catch a problem sooner then later...you have a better chance of taking care of the problem...I don't see anything wrong with it...[​IMG]

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I do now. We have had 3 chickens and a duck with bumblefoot this year. Our ground is rock hard and cracking from lack of rain.

10. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    uhh..no....guess I should??? [​IMG]

really dont wanna lol...

I have 30 chickens in one pen...eekk...and one mean hormonal roo..who is flogging me...ugh..(working on that one)

and 16 or 17 in another...thats freezer camp when old enough

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by