Bright red spots on a few toe joints of an 8mo pullet's feet - injury or...?

Cinnaminute

Songster
Aug 19, 2022
Georgia, USA
Hi everyone, here's the details:

The bird affected: Zelda is an 8mo EE pullet. She started laying in October 2022 and stopped earlier this month because she's in a molt. So she has lost some weight but only due to the molt. She's also the dominant one and does have stubby spurs.

Those housed with the affected: There are 5 other EE pullets she was raised with that have lived in the exact same conditions as her this entire time and do not have anything going on with their feet or health.

Discovery of problem: I actually think this goes back to October but I'm not sure. I was switching my girls to their new outside coop and my family was very ill at the time not to mention we didn't have a running vehicle, got a bad feed delivery, etc. Long story short, I wasn't the most observant of the girls as I was just running around tending to everything. But I'm pretty sure I saw the red spots on her feet then. Admittedly I never did daily body checks of my girls back then (that's something I do now). So it wasn't until end of December/beginning of January that I've been inspecting her feet and wondering if these are the same spots/if they'll go away on their own, etc.

Their coop then: Back in October I had to temporarily house them in my walk-in closet. Strange, I know! But it was big enough and they all would roost on my clothing rod that was 3ft above the floor. I kept straw bedding on the floor. And you can imagine I kept that place as clean as I could.

Their coop now: It's a little on the small side (going to be upgrading this year), I remove their nighttime poops daily and clean the coop out fully once a week. I keep straw in there as bedding. The coop stays dry though there is a slight leak near the one nesting box during heavy rain but besides a 4"x4" area, everything else remains dry.

Their run: I have them on a dirt run (plan on getting some sand soon). I monthly rake out the flooring and lay fresh dry dirt down. Since the cold weather has been sporadic, I now keep fresh straw in there to keep their feet drier and warmer. However, where the straw meets dirt, it really isn't the driest. I pull out the straw weekly and lay fresh down. However, they do like to scratch and dig around so I can't guarantee a fully dry experience.

Free-range: They do free-range, sometimes more sometimes less. The yard is full of leaves and it's really shady here so it's always damp for a few days after a rain. We haven't had the most rain, so the yard hasn't been constantly wet.

Symptoms: To explain in more details, she has a few red spots on her feet. They're a vibrant red and appear to maybe be on the joints of the toes. Doesn't seem to be in any pain. She walks fine. Runs fine. Climbs up very very high and flies off for the fun of it fine. It doesn't seem to bother her in the slightest. Can't tell if pushing on it slightly hurts or not, she is just fussy about me messing with her feet because they're use to that meaning I want them to step up (trained them to that haha). So this means if I mess with her feet she either steps up on me or runs away... usually the latter, haha.

Suspicions: I could be wrong, but I think something's going on in the joints of her toes? Perhaps she made a bad landing and has a bone chip? I'm concerned it's a sign of some injury and internal bleeding there. It could also be scald I guess?

Treatment: I haven't tried any treatments as of yet. It doesn't seem dire, but I would like to treat her (if that's even possible).

Pictures
of the problem:
IMG_6523.JPG IMG_6512.JPG

Pictures of the bird:
Zelda in her Glory.JPG
zelda girl.JPG

All pictures are from this month, January 2023. Her comb is a bit pale and shrunken due to the molt. She started losing her feathers about a week after I took these pictures. Thank you for any and all advice!

Thank you for such a wonderfully complete post. I don't need to mumble to myself, "think we're bloody mind readers" when all we get is a three sentence, "My hen is acting sick. What is wrong with her?" Wait. That's only two sentences. So then, we need to spend time asking all the questions you have so kindly already supplied information for. You are my hero.

A coop in a walk-in closet sounds intriguing. That's one I've never tried. Hopefully, the closet was empty of clothes.

The red spots appear to me to be pecking wounds. Occasionally a chicken will be fixated on toes, there own or others. This can result in serious wounds if not addressed.

You would do well to observe the chickens and watch for feet pecking to see if it is in fact occurring. We can try to address it. Meanwhile, I suggest Blu-kote to treat the wounds. It will help them heal, fight infection, and discourage further pecking, making them worse.

Well, I figured the only one who knows about my chickens is... my chickens actually!

And maybe me if I'm lucky. Plus, knowing my luck, the answer is right under my nose and I'm overlooking it (as usual haha). So I can only hope that someone can point me in the right direction!

Thankfully no clothes in the closet but a couple boxes that were left on a top shelf... phew. I learned just how dusty chickens can be.

Thank you so so much! Somehow it never occurred to me that she could be getting pecked at. I wonder if it's her or her roosting buddy... hmm. She usually roosts by the wall so there should only be one possible culprit besides herself. I guess it's time to hunt down the toe pecker! I'll definitely get started with the Blu-kote then. Thank you again, I deeply appreciate you taking your time to help Zelda and me out!

Back
Top Bottom