Anyone else extremely allergic to chickens?

BYCforlife

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Mar 18, 2017
Canada
I'm really sad to have to let them go, but I'm going to have to stop raising chickens, or at least get rid of all but my favorites. Since I started raising chickens, my allergies have slowly gotten worse. Today was when I truly decided something had to be done when I collected 2 eggs from my very recently cleaned coop. I was only in there for a maximum of 10 seconds, but on my way back to the house I started sneezing like crazy. My throat got itchy, and my eyes started watering.

I think my plan is to get rid of my 30 laying hens, and keep my 7 silkies and 15 or so "ornamental" breeds. (They're nothing special, but I bought them for looks.)
Of course I'll keep my ducks too, but they stay outside most of the time so they don't cause problems.

I am reluctant to completely give up because I just spent a lot into building a third chicken coop. I am already allergic to everything with fur, cedar, lots of fabrics, our basement gave me allergies for years, and this whole summer I had a reaction every day if I stayed in the house.

So yeah, that's my problem. Allergies run in my family. So do lots of noses. :lau

Allergies to poultry dander are not at all uncommon. Pigeon allergies are generally among the worst and most serious. I always wore a canister type filter when handling birds or cleaning lofts. Sadly these allergies generally become worse with continuous exposure.

Allergies to poultry dander are not at all uncommon. Pigeon allergies are generally among the worst and most serious. I always wore a canister type filter when handling birds or cleaning lofts. Sadly these allergies generally become worse with continuous exposure.
Well, it's good to know I'm not alone! I do wear a mask when cleaning out the coops, but not when I collect eggs or feed them. I do have experience with worsening allergies. :D

I spent the majority of my working period in a research facility, and in spite of taking precautions I am allergic to rats and their urine, rabbits and guinea pigs.

Back
Top Bottom