anyone else feed road kill?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sydney13, Dec 2, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    The other day I was moving a dead squirrel off the road so that other wild animals could safely eat it when I realized my chicken would probably love it. I brought the squirrel into the backyard with a bucket and the chickens went absolutely crazy over it. Ive never seen them more excited, they were charging all over the yard for more meat and eating the last specks off each other beaks. I think im going to have nightmares about these savage chickens [​IMG] does anyone else feed their hens road kill or am I the only freak who has does this? Is it safe for them to eat it (It was fresh) and should I be careful they don't eat any bone fragments?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Uh, yeah, you may be the only person who does this [​IMG] I live far off of the road and would never think of trucking back a recently roadkilled animal to my birds. I'd be afraid of what diseases it may have. Plus I couldn't imagine the birds tearing it apart, although I'm sure that they would....that's just not an image that I would want revisiting my mind. Eeeewww!

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I think most squirrels die by a serious case of squirreliness, but some animals may be lingering next to the road because they do not feel well. You do not want to pick up a dead rabid fox...

5. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Uh, yeah that's an ewww from me also! [​IMG]

6. QuinnP

QuinnP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    I just ralfed all over my laptop:sick

7. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Uh no I have never thought of doing that ever. I don't feed any meat other than cricketts and mealworms to them. I would be afraid of what could be wrong with the squirrel or any other animal. I just don't think that is natural but that is just my opinion.

8. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I don't feed roadkill~~can't even imagine picking it up [​IMG]

But I DO feed them the guts from the trout my husband catches~~~talk about pigs at a trough [​IMG]

9. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I guess I don't see anything wrong with it, but I'd be worried about worms.

10. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Well I for one think there's nothing wrong with feeding fresh roadkill to your chickens. The chance of a roadkilled animal being diseased in a manner which can be transmitted to your chickens is minimal. The vast majority of roadkilled animals were killed by cars plain and simple. I hunt ducks and I feed duck carcasses to my chickens (after I have cut our the breasts and other human-edible parts) and they LOVE them. No reason why they should not get other kinds of dead animals too. It's good high quality protein for them.

GG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by