Anyone else freaked out your chicken will peck your face?

I went into the coop to make sure they were all away
and Mary Ann was hungrily looking at my nose.
She reached forward and pecked!
barnie.gif

Luckily she missed.
BAD CHICKEN!:mad:

smile.png
All that is sum and total why I discourage most my birds from jumping on me and getting in my face (I value my eyesight).
It's disconcerting to be covered by excited birds when you come in the pen with treats. I have a 'thing' now --- if your feet aren't on the ground, you don't get treats. I don't enjoy poopy-chicken foots tangled in my hair.
Just be careful.

Lisa

With spring on us and summer not far away, and lot's of folks starting flocks for the first time, it's probably a good thing this thread was resurrected. I'm not so concerned about myself (which I should be) but rather more concerned with my wee 3-year-old granddaughter that is down at chicken height.
hmm.png

Hunter schmidt, take care of that eye. I'm not sure what to tell you to do about it, but I know for a fact that high doses of Vitamin-C is excellent for injured eyes. Beware of any infection.

Best wishes,
Ed

There was a thread about this a little earlier this spring and several people posted pictures. It was pretty disturbing to see and I was really grateful that they took the time to post them. It's just not something most people think about, when they first get chickens. It's not like the chickens are trying to do us harm on purpose, but it can still work out that way.

I wear safety glasses all day long at work and they have saved me substantial misery several times.

I keep safety glasses near the coops, on my mowers, hanging in the garage, in the truck, in the house... everywhere.

I would recommend that everyone buy a $2 pair and wear them while in the coops.

Chickens will peck at anything shiny, usually rings, necklaces or earrings but eyes are shiny too. And remember, Safety Is No Accident.
cool.png

I'd be nervous of them pecking me or my children in the eyes too. I like the sunglass or safety glasses idea
wink.png

I've had other birds in my house and well you have to watch them as well of things like this.

Back
Top Bottom