Anyone else hate TICKS as much as me????

baldie

Songster
11 Years
Sep 25, 2008
Douglas, MA
Okay, so my 2 Silver Spangled Hamburgs were free ranging today and decided they like the pine tree near the coop. I hit a few branches to scare them down and I obviously knocked a few ticks out of the tree and onto me. I found 2 before I finally took shower # 2 today. Well, I got out of the shower and I was checking the couch just in case there were any there and the electricity goes out. This was totally NOT funny. ALthough the hubby thought it was. All I know is that I HATE ticks, more than any other bug out there. I thought I hated spiders more, until today. Now I have to check my cuties in the A.M. Anyway, can chickens get sick from ticks?? I will obviously have to remove any I find, But if 2 landed on me, then chances are they have some too.

I detest ticks! I want my guineas back! Ticks and scorpions, both of which Ive found in my bed at one time or another. Dont know if chickens can contract anything from ticks or not, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Scorpions, well we don't have those around here unless you got an exotic pet store.I have seen them and they look very scary to me. I would not want to find one in my bed, that's for sure, That must have been scary. I am sooo itchy right now, I have no idea how I am going to sleep tonight. I am wide awake and paranoid. I had to check my youngest sons bed. I read him books while lying in his bed and right after was when I found the first one. I didn't find any, but they are sneaky little things.

Check out the tick twister on Youtube. I have always hated touching the little buggers. This thing takes them off so easily without making contact with them.

Rufus

the three things I can NOT tolerate at all, in no particular order:

1) Live snakes of any kind! The only good ones are dead. I truly think they are evil and I can not stand them.

2) Ticks, I can not understand a useful reason of why they are even on this earth!

3) Leeches, had a bad experience once as a kid and was covered with them from my thighs down. Again, don't know any dood reason why they even exist (unless it was for the medical field, my wife actually has used them before at the hospital) still doesn't mean I have to like them though.

I can live with and tolerate most other critters. I don't care for spiders, but they don't freak me out like the above three do either. I either sqoosh him or leave him be, depending upon the kind.

Last edited:
I don't know...Eli (Ticks) seems like a decent guy to me!!!
lau.gif

No scorpions in ND or poisonous spiders or venemous snakes (except rattlers in the western part)

The Guinea's have destroyed the tick population on the farm. The year before I got them, my poor dog had 36 crawling on her (she is a doxie too) after a romp thru the trees. The next year, she only had 3.

Ticks make my skin crawl

Quote:
Snakes are great for the environment, they eat rodents and other pests that are a problem for farmers. Animals are not evil, as they do not have the mental capacity to understand good and evil or to make a choice about their actions. They are driven by instincts, that's it. They are no more good or bad than any other wild animal. Only people can be good or evil, depending on their actions.

I'm not saying you have to like snakes, but lets not get irrational about them, they are just another animal living on our planet. The Divine or God as you define Him or Her, intended there to be snakes and gave them a role in nature and that makes all living things sacred.

Ok, I'll get off my snake soap box now
smile.png

Dove

Dove, I understand what you are saying and respect that completely. But, on my farm, there are other ways of controlling rodent populations, and it just so happens that snakes are not on the list.

When I have to fear about my families safety, indoors or out, from poisonous snakes, I am going to do whats needed to ensure my safety.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of the rattlesnake that my 13 year old nephew took care of last week. This snake was in front of the back door of the house when he got home from school. He went in another door, got his bow, and shot it.

If they keep to themselves, away from me, I am fine. But, if they come close to me or the house, they are done.

16377_dscf2020.jpg

16377_dscf20211.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom